NWSMT • September 17, 2014
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Sept. 16, 2014) - The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will continue its 10th season of competition with the Southern National 150 on Saturday, Sept. 20 at Southern National Motorsports Park in Lucama, North Carolina. Below is a statistical look at the performance of selected drivers at the track:
Southern National Race Setup:
• Andy Seuss won this event last season at Southern National Motorsports Park.
• J.R. Bertuccio was able to pass George Brunnhoelzl III on Lap 11 and the Centereach, New York native remained out front the rest of the way to score his first career tour win at the track in March.
• Southern National is the only track on the 2014 schedule that four-time NWSMT champion Brunnhoelzl has yet to reach Victory Lane.
AT SOUTHERN NATIONAL:
• The first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour race at Southern National Motorsports Park was held on Oct. 21, 2006 and was won by Junior Miller.
• There have been five different winners across the six previous NWSMT events at Southern National. Burt Myers is the only two-time event winner.
• Five different drivers have earned Coors Light Pole Awards at Southern National since the inaugural event in 2006. L.W. Miller is the only driver with two, and he also holds the NWSMT track qualifying record.
• George Brunnhoelzl III, Burt Myers and Jason Myers are the only drivers that have competed in all six previous Southern National events.
• There has been one previous wire-to-wire winner at Southern National: Andy Seuss on Oct. 5, 2013.
• Seuss is the youngest Southern National race winner at 26 years, 6 months, 20 days.
• Junior Miller is the oldest Southern National victor at 55 years, 5 months, 25 days.
Southern National Motorsports Park Data
Season Race #: 11 of 14 overall, 2 of 2 at SNMP
Track Layout: .4-mile asphalt oval
Banking/Turns: 17 degrees
Banking/Straights: 7 degrees
Race Length: 150 laps / 60 miles
2013 Pole Winner: Burt Myers
2013 Race Winner: Andy Seuss
Track Qualifying Record: L.W. Miller, Pontiac, 14.251 seconds, 101.046 mph, Sept. 13, 2008
ACTIVE CATEGORY LEADERS AT SNMP:
1. Burt Myers … 2
2. J.R. Bertuccio … 1
Andy Seuss … 1
1. Burt Myers … 1
1. Burt Myers … 5
2. George Brunnhoelzl III … 3
Andy Seuss … 3
1. Burt Myers … 6
2. George Brunnhoelzl III … 5
Andy Seuss … 4
1. Andy Seuss … 150
2. J.R. Bertuccio … 145
1. Burt Myers … 855
2. George Brunnhoelzl III … 852
3. Jason Myers … 758
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 6
Burt Myers … 6
Jason Myers … 6
Selected Driver Highlights:
JR Bertuccio (No. 2 Gershow Recycling Chevrolet)
• Has two wins and 16 top 10s in 36 career NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour starts. The wins came at Southern National Motorsports Park on March 16 and he was credited with a win as the highest finishing Southern Modified driver at Bristol on Aug. 20.
• Is fourth in points on the strength of a career-best six top fives.
• In three career NWSMT starts at Southern National Motorsports Park he has one win (March 15, 2014), two top-10 finishes, an average finish of eighth.
Danny Bohn (No. 65 Rustoleum/Cedar Peaks Chevrolet)
• The 2012 Sunoco Rookie of the Year has two wins, four poles, 14 top fives and 25 top 10s in 32 career NWSMT starts.
• Ranks fifth in points after 10 races, highlighted by his second career win at Bowman Gray Stadium on Aug. 2, when he also won the Coors Light Pole Award.
• Posted a pair of top-10 finishes in three previous starts at Southern National Motorsports Park.
George Brunnhoelzl III (No. 28 Composite Technologies Chevrolet)
• Has a record four NWSMT championships (2009, `11, `12, `13).
• Has 21 wins, 23 poles, 47 podiums, 58 top fives, 72 top 10s and 2,683 laps led in 89 career starts.
• Holds NWSMT all-time records for wins and laps led. Ranks second in poles, third in top fives and fourth in top 10s.
• Has recorded at least one win in every year he has competed full-time on the NWSMT since 2008 with his lone win so far this season at Langley in April. Competed in the northeastern-based NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour in 2010.
• Has four top fives, an average finish of sixth and a best result of second in six previous Southern National starts.
• Southern National is the only track on the 2014 schedule that he does not have a career win at with at least three or more starts.
Spencer Davis (No. 79 Hillbilly Racing Pontiac)
• Has two top fives and five top 10s in 10 career starts.
• Finished ninth at Southern National in March for his first career top-10 finish on the tour.
• Is the leading contender for the Sunoco Rookie of the Year Award ahead of fellow rookies Joe Ryan Osborne and Bobby Measmer Jr.
Bryan Dauzat (No. 97 O.B. Builders Chevrolet)
• One top five and 12 top 10s in 49 tour starts with a best career finish of fifth at Bowman Gray (2009).
• Has one top-10 finish in three starts at the Southern National, finishing 10th in the spring race.
• Average finish this season of 12th.
Kyle Ebersole (No. 5 Ebersole Excavating Ford)
• Most recent winner on the tour capturing his second career win last weekend at South Boston Speedway. He’s also recorded 15 top fives and 24 top 10s in 32 career starts. The first victory was earned at Langley in 2013.
• Ranks seventh in points with seven top-10 finishes in addition to his recent win this season.
• Has two top-five and three top-10 finishes at Southern National in as many starts highlighted by his runner-up finish to Bertuccio this spring.
Luke Fleming (No. 40 AutosByNelson.com/Koma Unwind Ford)
• The 2013 NWSMT Sunoco Rookie of the Year has a win and 14 top 10s in 24 career starts. The win came at Bowman Gray Stadium in his 2009 tour debut.
• Ranks sixth in points with eight top 10s in 10 starts this year.
• Has three previous starts at Southern National with one top five and two top-10 finishes.
Brian Loftin (No. 23 L&R Transmissions Chevrolet)
• The 2008 NWSMT champion has 12 wins, 12 poles, 40 top fives and 51 top 10s in 84 career starts.
• Sits 17th in points with one top-10 finish (7th-Caraway) in five starts.
• Has finishes of 14th, 15th and 23rd in three previous Southern National starts.
Burt Myers (No. 1 Citrusafe/Speedway Auto Auction/Adams Towing Ford)
• The 2010 NWSMT champion has 13 wins, a tour record 27 poles, 59 top fives and 95 top 10s in 114 career starts.
• Ranks third in points with two wins, six top fives and nine top 10s in 10 races.
• Has two wins, a pole, five top fives and an average finish of third in six career Southern National races.
Jason Myers (No. 4 Adams Towing/Corks, Caps & Taps Ford)
• Has recorded three wins, 37 top fives and 86 top 10s in a NWSMT-record 118 career starts. Has competed in all but one race (2005-Martinsville Speedway) in the tour’s 10 seasons.
• Sits ninth in points with two top fives and six top 10s.
• Has three top 10s, an average finish of 10th and a best result of sixth (twice) in six previous Southern National races.
Joe Ryan Osborne (No. 15 Pinnacle Trucking/Osborne Construction Chevrolet)
• Rookie has seven top 10s in his first 10 NWSMT starts.
• Finished eighth and won Rookie of the Race honors in his only previous Southern National NWSMT start in April.
Gary Putnam (No. 77 Curb Records Chevrolet)
• Has one top five and 19 top 10s in 41 career starts with a best finish of fifth at Caraway in 2013.
• Ranks eighth in the 2014 standings with seven top 10s in 10 races.
• Has one top 10 finish in two career starts at Southern National.
Andy Seuss (No. 11 Ideal Finance/Phoenix Motors Chevrolet)
• Has 18 wins, 11 poles, 54 top fives and 70 top 10s in 90 career NWSMT starts. His 18 wins rank second all-time.
• Leads the championship standings with wins a pair of wins at Caraway and one at South Boston. He has nine top fives and is the only driver to finish in the top 10 in all 10 races this season.
• Has finishes of fourth (twice), fifth and first in four previous Southern National starts. Led start-to-finish in this event at Southern National last fall.
Thomas Stinson (No. 7 Dennis’ Towing & Recovery Chevrolet)
• Has 26 top 10s in 54 career starts.
• Sits 16th in points after competing in just eight races with a best finish of ninth in the opener at Caraway.
• Recorded top-10 finishes in three of his previous four Southern National starts and his average finish of ninth there ranks fifth among active drivers.
Up To Speed:
• The 2014 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour schedule consists of 14 events at seven different tracks across three states.
• The competition season opened with the non-points UNOH Battle At The Beach on the short track at Daytona International Speedway on Feb. 18. Ryan Preece was the polesitter and Doug Coby took the checkered flag. Jason Myers was the highest-finishing NWSMT driver in the event when he crossed the line second.
• Andy Seuss won from the pole in the points season opener on March 9 at Caraway Speedway.
• JR Bertuccio captured his first career victory on March 15 at Southern National Motorsports Park. George Brunnhoelzl III was the event’s pole winner.
• The Prestoria Farms 150 at Caraway was to be contested on March 29, but was postponed due to rain. That event will be made up on Oct 4.
• Danny Bohn sat on the pole, but it was Seuss who led all but one lap en route to victory at South Boston Speedway on April 5.
• At Langley Speedway on April 12, Ryan Preece earned the pole in his fourth NWSMT appearance in a row and Brunnhoelzl drove to Victory Lane for his first win at the track.
• Andy Seuss picked up his third win of the season and second at Caraway with a victory in the Daggett Shuler Attorneys at Law 150 on July 4.
• Danny Bohn picked up his first win of the season and second of his career in the Strutmasters.com 199 at Bowman Gray Stadium on Aug. 2.
• JR Bertuccio was credited with the win at Bristol Motor Speedway as the highest finishing NWSMT driver in the annual combination event with the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour. The win moved him to third in the standings, 12 points behind second-place Brunnhoelzl (286-274) and 28 points behind leader Andy Seuss.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017