NWMT • August 08, 2016
Takes Advantage of Leader's Woes To Claim NASCAR Whelen Modified Win
STAFFORD, Conn. (Aug. 5, 2016) - It was one of the most improbable of victories Friday night, but that didn’t make it any less sweet for Jimmy Blewett.
The 35-year-old from Howell, New Jersey, took advantage of fuel issues by NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour championship points leader Doug Coby and Bobby Santos in the closing laps to drive away with the 26th annual Stafford 150.
“You’ve got to put yourself in position,” said Blewett, who has collected four top three finishes in nine races in the No. 4 Starrett/Mayhew Dodge. “We worked all race long to be in position to be there in the end, to have a shot.”
Friday marked the sixth career win and first since 2009 for the long-time Modified driver. Blewett sat out of the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour the last two years before getting an opportunity to drive for Bob Garbarino’s historic No. 4 Modified.
Justin Bonsignore finished second and Brendon Bock earned his first career podium finish. Chase Dowling and Eric Goodale finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
Coby won his sixth Coors Light Pole Award of the season Friday afternoon, and was trying to join Ted Christopher as the only driver to win four straight at Stafford. Christopher won the Fall Final in 2001 and the first three races of 2002.
Coby appeared well on his way Friday night as he led 140 of the first 143 laps.
But he suddenly slowed on the track as he ran out of gas, opening up the opportunity for the field to capitalize. Santos inherited the lead, but he too had fuel issues on the restart and the ensuing melee brought out the race’s final caution. It also pushed the race to 157 laps.
Coby wound up 20th and Santos 17th.
Ron Silk finished sixth, followed by Max Zachem, Timmy Solomito, Woody Pitkat and Sunoco Rookie of the Year candidate Craig Lutz.
The late-race shakeup cut into Coby’s championship points lead. He now holds a 30-point edge on Bonsignore and 34 over Solomito. Blewett moved to fourth in points, 11 behind Solomito.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour has a quick turnaround, racing Wednesday at Connecticut’s Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park, before heading to Bristol Motor Speedway on Wednesday, Aug. 17, for the annual combination race with the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour..
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-Stafford "150" Results
At Stafford Motor Speedway
Stafford Springs, CT
Lap length: 0.5 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (11) Jimmy Blewett, Howell, N.J., Dodge, 157 laps, 73.345 mph.
2. (8) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 157.
3. (24) Brendon Bock, Franklin Square, N.Y., Chevrolet, 157.
4. (4) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 157.
5. (3) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 157.
6. (7) Ron Silk, Norwalk, CT, Chevrolet, 157.
7. (18) Max Zachem, Preston, Conn., Chevrolet, 157.
8. (5) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 157.
9. (14) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 157.
10. (17) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet, 157.
11. (19) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 157.
12. (16) Jeff Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 156.
13. (20) Andrew Krause, Holmdel, N.J., Chevrolet, 155.
14. (12) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT, Chevrolet, 154.
15. (9) Shawn Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154.
16. (22) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 153.
17. (2) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 152, out of fuel.
18. (6) Donny Lia, Jericho, NY, Chevrolet, 151.
19. (23) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
20. (1) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 145, out of fuel.
21. (15) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Chevrolet, 143.
22. (25) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H., Chevrolet, 121, handling.
23. (13) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 113, rear end.
24. (21) Ken Heagy, Calverton, N.Y., Chevrolet, 71, power steering.
25. (10) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 68, engine.
Time of Race: 1 hour 4 minutes 13 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.598 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Coby (98.744 mph, 18.229 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 23 laps.
Lead Changes: 5 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Coby 1-12; E. Goodale 13-15; D. Coby 16-143; B. Santos 144-149; J.
Bonsignore 150-151; J. Blewett 152-157.
Standings: 1. D. Coby, 354; 2. J. Bonsignore, 334; 3. T. Solomito, 330; 4. J. Blewett,
319; 5. D. Lia, 318; 6. M. Zachem, 311; 7. E. Goodale, 306; 8. B. Bock, 302; 9. R. Silk,
296; 10. R. Pennink, 291.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017