NWSMT • August 03, 2015
Second-Straight Whelen Southern Modified Triumph At The Stadium
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (Aug. 1, 2015) - The first names that come to mind when referring to modified racing at Bowman Gray Stadium are usually Brown, Miller and Myers. Danny Bohn is doing his best to get in the conversation.
Bohn, from Freehold, New Jersey, captured the checkered flag in the Strutmasters.com 199 Saturday night in NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour action. It was his second win in a row in the event.
Bohn also earned the 2014 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series track championship at the Bowman Gray quarter-mile in 2014 out of the weekly modified division - a division won so many times by Tim Brown, Junior Miller and Burt Myers.
Bohn gained the lead from George Brunnhoelzl III for the final time on Lap 155 and held on through three restarts. Polesitter Ryan Preece rallied from a flat tire early in the event to cross the finish line second while Jeremy Gerstner grabbed his first career podium in third place.
Myers, Bobby Measmer Jr., Andy Seuss, Joe Ryan Osborne, Kyle Ebersole, JR Bertuccio and Jason Myers rounded out the top 10.
Mid-race leader Brunnhoelzl finished 15th after contact with the wall while running fourth brought out the final caution of the night.
The Whelen Southern Modified Tour has held one event a year at Bowman Gray since 2005. Bohn joined L.W. Miller (2010-11) as just the second driver to earn back-to-back victories at the famed flat oval.
The Strutmasters.com 199 will be telecast by NBCSN on Aug. 7 at 2:30 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return to action with the Bush’s Beans 150 combination race with the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour on Aug. 19 at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Strutmasters.com 199 Results
At Bowman Gray Stadium
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 199 laps, 38.641 mph.
2. (1) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 199.
3. (10) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 199.
4. (7) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 199.
5. (11) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 199.
6. (4) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 199.
7. (12) Joe Ryan Osborne, Holland, Pa., Pontiac, 199.
8. (17) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 199.
9. (18) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 199.
10. (6) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 199.
11. (19) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 199.
12. (9) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 199.
13. (16) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 197.
14. (20) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 196.
15. (3) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 196.
16. (14) A.J. Winstead, Bon Air, Va., Chevrolet, 186.
17. (5) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 173, suspension.
18. (15) Tom Abele, Jr., Norwich, Conn., Chevrolet, 167, engine.
19. (13) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 150, alternator.
20. (8) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 146, overheating.
21. (21) Paul Hartwig Jr., Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 96, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 17 minutes 15 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.004 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R.Preece (68.171 mph, 13.202 seconds)
Caution Flags: 11 for 61 laps.
Lead Changes: 13 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Preece 1-15; D. Bohn 16-23; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 24; D. Bohn 25-29; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 30-82; D. Bohn 83; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 84-111; D. Bohn 112; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 113-120; D. Bohn 121; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 122-146; D. Bohn 147-153; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 154; D. Bohn 155-199.
Standings: 1. B. Myers, 234; 2. J. Myers, 230; 3. K. Ebersole, 225; 4. J. Bertuccio, 225; 5. A. Seuss, 218; 6. G. Putnam, 213; 7. F. Fleming, 211; 8. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 210; 9. B. Measmer,Jr., 209; 10. D. Calabrese, 196.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017