NWSMT • October 06, 2014
Nips Loftin At The Line In Wild Whelen Southern Modified Finish
SOPHIA, N.C. (Oct. 4, 2014) - It was a circle track event, but it took a drag race to decide the winner as Danny Bohn just edged Brian Loftin at the finish line to take the Prestoria Farms 150 checkered flag in NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour action Saturday at Caraway Speedway.
It was the third career victory for Bohn, and second at the .455-mile oval in rural Sophia, North Carolina.
The dramatics were setup by a series of late-race cautions. Burt Myers had dominated the bulk of the event, but mechanical issues on Lap 130 opened the door to the field. Loftin assumed the lead and held Bohn at bay for two subsequent restarts before the green-white-checkered flag conclusion.
Loftin, an eight-time winner at Caraway, took the white flag in the lead, but coming to the checkers Bohn made it a side-by-side dash. With four-time titlist and current championship contender George Brunnhoelzl III wrecking behind them as they came to the stripe, it was Bohn that edged ahead.
It was so close that it took a review of the official timing and scoring by NASCAR Race Control to determine the winner. The final margin of victory: 0.019 seconds.
Bohn and Loftin were followed across the finish line by Kyle Ebersole, points leader Andy Seuss and Luke Fleming in the top five. The rest of the top 10 included: Spencer Davis, JR Bertuccio, Daniel Speeney, Bobby Measmer Jr. and Mike Norman.
Brunnhoelzl finished 12th. The last-lap accident proved costly as he lost crucial ground in the championship chase to leader Seuss, who will take a 17-point advantage to the season finale.
Bohn, from Freehold, New Jersey, earned his fifth career pole earlier in the day. The race victory was his second of the season behind the wheel of the No. 65 Rustoleum/Cedar Peaks Chevrolet.
The Whelen Southern Modified Tour will conclude its 2014 season and crown a champion in the finale on the quarter-mile at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Oct. 9.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Prestoria Farms 150 Results
At Caraway Speedway
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 152 laps, 68.626 mph.
2. (6) Brian Loftin, Lexington, N.C., Chevrolet, 152.
3. (8) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 152.
4. (5) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 152.
5. (10) Luke Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Ford, 152.
6. (11) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 152.
7. (7) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 152.
8. (17) Daniel Speeney, Newtown, PA, Chevrolet, 152.
9. (16) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 152.
10. (13) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 152.
11. (9) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 152.
12. (3) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 151, accident.
13. (14) Cole Powell, Mount Brydges, Ont., Chevrolet, 151.
14. (15) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 146, accident.
15. (12) Joe Ryan Osborne, Holland, Pa., Chevrolet, 145.
16. (2) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 130, rear end.
17. (4) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 25, engine.
Time of Race: 1 hour 0 minutes 28 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.019 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Bohn (103.468 mph, 15.831 seconds)
Caution Flags: 7 for 35 laps.
Lead Changes: 17 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Bohn 1-5; B. Myers 6-51; D. Bohn 52; B. Myers 53-58; D. Bohn 59; B. Myers 60-90; G. Putnam 91-94; S. Davis 95; G. Putnam 96-97; B. Myers 98-107; B. Loftin 108; B. Myers 109-129; B. Loftin 130-143; D. Bohn 144-147; B. Loftin 148-149; D. Bohn 150; B. Loftin 151; D. Bohn 152.
Standings: 1. A. Seuss, 544; 2. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 527; 3. B. Myers, 512; 4. D. Bohn, 507; 5. J. Bertuccio, 506; 6. K. Ebersole, 480; 7. L. Fleming, 477; 8. S. Davis, 445; 9. G. Putnam, 445; 10. J. Myers, 442.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017