NWMT • August 11, 2016
Holds Off Coby on Late Restart to Score First Win of Season
THOMPSON, Conn. (Aug. 10, 2016) – After saying he ‘gave’ away about thirty points this season with two DNF’s, Justin Bonsignore was finally able to celebrate after a race Wednesday at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park.
Bonsignore passed points leader Doug Coby on Lap 74 and withheld a strong challenge for the lead on a restart with four laps remaining to win the Budweiser King of Beers 150 for his first win of the season.
Bonsignore qualified third and was able to muscle by Coby for the lead and hold off the two-time defending NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour champion for his ninth career win and fourth overall at Thompson.
The third and final caution of the race was given to the field on Lap 143 for a single car spin setting up the final restart. Bonsignore was able to drive away with Coby in tow to get his first win since the Holtsville, N.Y. native won at Riverhead Raceway last season.
Bobby Santos finished third as Woody Pitkat and Ryan Preece rounded out the top five. Max Zachem was sixth with Ron Silk, Donny Lia, Shawn Solomito and Jeff Goodale coming home seventh through 10th, respectively.
Chase Dowling took advantage of a quick pit stop by his crew during the first caution of the race on Lap 58 to take the lead where he stayed until Coby got by on Lap 62 on the restart.
Bonsignore was able to pull to within 15 points of the lead in the standings and now trails Coby 397-382 with seven races remaining. Timmy Solomito is third with Donny Lia and Jimmy Blewett rounding out the top five.
The Budweiser King of Beers 150 will be televised on NBCSN on Friday, Aug. 26, 8 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour returns to action along with its NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour counterparts for their annual combination race on Wednesday, Aug. 17 at Bristol Motor Speedway.
The Bush’s Beans 150 will be held at 6 p.m. as part of a doubleheader with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-Bud "King of Beers" 150 Results
At Thompson International Speedway
Lap length: 0.625 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (3) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 150 laps, 94.458 mph.
2. (1) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (5) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (12) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (8) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (16) Max Zachem, Preston, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (2) Ron Silk, Norwalk, CT, Chevrolet, 150.
8. (20) Donny Lia, Jericho, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
9. (11) Shawn Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
10. (14) Jeff Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
11. (10) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
12. (7) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 150.
13. (13) Brendon Bock, Franklin Square, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
14. (19) Jimmy Blewett, Howell, N.J., Dodge, 150.
15. (6) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
16. (17) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Chevrolet, 149.
17. (4) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT, Chevrolet, 149.
18. (21) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 149.
19. (18) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 148.
20. (22) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 147.
21. (15) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet, 147.
22. (9) Andrew Krause, Holmdel, N.J., Chevrolet, 107, suspension.
23. (24) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H., Chevrolet, 84, suspension.
24. (23) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Chevrolet, 34, rear end.
25. (25) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 17, overheating.
Time of Race: 59 minutes 33 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.256 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Coby (118.321 mph, 19.016 seconds)
Caution Flags: 3 for 17 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Coby 1-57; C. Dowling 58-61; D. Coby 62-73; J. Bonsignore 74-150.
Standings: 1. D. Coby, 397; 2. J. Bonsignore, 382; 3. T. Solomito, 362; 4. D. Lia, 354; 5. J. Blewett, 349; 6. M. Zachem, 349; 7. E. Goodale, 335; 8. R. Silk, 333; 9. B. Bock, 333; 10. M. Swanson, 317.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017