NWSMT • April 13, 2015
Holds off Ebersole to Become First Repeat Whelen Southern Modified Winner at Langley
Hampton, Va. (April 11, 2015) - After a John Smith spin in Turn 2 on Lap 45, Burt Myers was forced to the pits to change a cut right rear tire. He thought the early setback ended any chance for a decent finish.
He was mistaken.
Myers piloted his No. 1 Remington SCT/Citrusafe/Speedway Auto Auction Ford into first place on Lap 88 of the Pepsi 150 at Langley Speedway and never relinquished the lead, capturing his second consecutive win at the southern Virginia oval and
first victory of the 2015 season. The win gives Myers, the 2010 Whelen Southern Modified Tour champion, a total of 16 career wins on the Tour.
Kyle Ebersole, driving the No. 5 Ebersole Excavating Ford, elected to stay on track as the leaders pitted during cautions at various points during the race, waiting until Lap 140 to get his new tire. He returned to the track in fifth position with seven laps remaining in the race, then worked his way to second with two to go, but was unable to catch Myers and finished in the runner up spot.
George Brunnhoelzl III started from the pole and led the first third of the race, until pitting after the third caution. He ran in the top five throughout the race but had to settle for a third place finish.
Defending Southern Modified Tour champion Andy Seuss finished fourth, and Frank Fleming kept his streak of top-10 finishes at Langley Speedway intact with a fifth place result.
Jason Myers, J.R. Bertuccio, Jeremy Grestner, Gary Putnam, and Bobby Measmer Jr. rounded out the top ten.
Burt Myers, Brunnhoelzl, and Ebersole were the only three lap leaders for the race, and a total of four caution flags were displayed.
Unofficially, the new season championship points leader is Burt Myers, followed by JR Bertuccio and Jason Myers.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour begins its spring break and will return to action on July 4 at Caraway Speedway.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Pepsi 150 Results
At Langley Speedway
Lap length: 0.396 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (3) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150 laps, 68.715 mph.
2. (4) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 150.
3. (1) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (2) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (13) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (5) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
7. (8) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 149.
8. (12) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 149.
9. (9) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 149.
10. (6) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 149.
11. (14) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 148.
12. (11) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 148.
13. (15) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 148.
14. (10) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 146.
15. (7) Tom Abele, Jr., Norwich, Conn., Chevrolet, 32, accident.
Time of Race: 0 hours 51 minutes 52 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.154 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: G.Brunnhoelzl, III (95.479 mph, 14.931 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 24 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: G. Brunnhoelzl,III 1-66; A. Seuss 67; K. Ebersole 68-87; B. Myers 88-150.
Standings: 1. B. Myers, 165; 2. J. Bertuccio, 156; 3. J. Myers, 153; 4. K. Ebersole, 149;5. F. Fleming, 144; 6. G. Putnam, 142; 7. A. Seuss, 141; 8. D. Calabrese, 138; 9. J.Smith, 134; 10. B. Measmer,Jr., 134.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017