NWMT • September 06, 2016
Takes Toyota Mod Classic 150 For 4th NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Victory
Oswego, N.Y. (Sept. 3, 2016) – Doug Coby had never taken a lap around Oswego Speedway before Saturday. He hadn't even seen it in person before he arrived at the historic upstate New York track in the morning.
It didn't take the three-time NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour champion long, though, to find the fast way around in his No. 2 Dunleavy Repair/A&J Romano Construction Chevrolet. Coby led twice for a race-high 121 laps en route to capturing the Toyota Mod Classic 140.
Saturday's win was the fourth of the season for the Milford, Connecticut, driver, and his first since July at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Coby extended his championship points lead to 20 over Justin Bonsignore, who finished third, with four races remaining.
Timmy Solomito finished second. After Bonsignore, Rob Summers and Patrick Emerling rounded out the top five.
Coby qualified second behind Coors Light Pole Award winner Bobby Santos, and led the first 61 laps on the .625-mile oval. After pitting and coming out 11th, he quickly worked his way back up through the field and took the lead from Rowan Pennink on Lap 91. Coby beat Solomito to the checkered by .812 seconds.
With his 21st career win, Coby moved into sole possession of seventh place on the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour all-time wins list. He is seven behind Mike Ewanitsko.
Chuck Hossfeld, filling in for Jimmy Blewett in the No. 4, finished sixth. Pennink was seventh, followed by Chase Dowling, Ron Silk and Craig Lutz.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour returns to the track on Saturday, Sept. 10, for the AnytimeRealty.com 150 at Seekonk Speedway in Massachusetts.
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-Toyota MOD Classic 150 pres by McDonalds Results
At Oswego Speedway
Lap length: 0.625 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 82.017 mph.
2. (3) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 150.
3. (6) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
4. (8) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT, Chevrolet, 150.
5. (5) Patrick Emerling, Orchard Park, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
6. (14) Chuck Hossfeld, Ransomville, N.Y., Dodge, 150.
7. (4) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 150.
8. (9) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (10) Ron Silk, Norwalk, CT, Chevrolet, 150.
10. (7) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
11. (13) Jimmy Zacharias, Candor, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
12. (16) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
13. (1) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 150.
14. (21) Jeff Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
15. (11) Donny Lia, Jericho, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
16. (18) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 150.
17. (15) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 147.
18. (20) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Chevrolet, 147.
19. (19) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 146.
20. (17) Max Zachem, Preston, Conn., Chevrolet, 134, engine.
21. (12) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Chevrolet, 45, power steering.
Time of Race: 1 hour 8 minutes 35 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.812 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B.Santos (126.029 mph, 17.853 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 40 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Coby 1-61; R. Pennink 62-90; D. Coby 91-150.
Standings: 1. D. Coby, 513; 2. J. Bonsignore, 493; 3. T. Solomito, 472; 4. D. Lia, 453;
5. E. Goodale, 443; 6. M. Zachem, 441; 7. R. Silk, 434; 8. J. Blewett, 417; 9. C.
Dowling, 414; 10. R. Pennink, 404.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017