IMSA • December 29, 2014
Action Express Racing has finalized the driver lineup for the No. 31 Whelen Engineering Corvette Daytona Prototype for 2015.
Joining Eric Curran and Dane Cameron in the No. 31 for the four Tequila PatrÃ³n North American Endurance Cup events will be veteran Max Papis. Also joining the team for the Rolex 24 at Daytona will be 2015 Sunoco Whelen Challenge winner Phil Keen of Great Britain.
Papis competed in two events for the Whelen Motorsports team last season and brings an extensive racing resume to the No. 31 entry. A former winner of both the Mobil 1 12 hours of Sebring and the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta will make him a valuable addition to the Whelen Corvette team.
"I have known Max for many years," said Gary Nelson (Team Manager). "We have raced both together and against each other on many different occasions. No matter what the situation, Max has always been a great friend. We are very much looking forward to working with him again; we know that he has the speed and maturity to get the job done. One of my favorite Max Papis quotes is: ’We are looking for the best track position... on the last lap’, with his attitude he will mesh well with our team motto of ’Expect to Win’."
Papis has five podium finishes in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and is a 2004 Grand-Am Series Co-Champion in the Daytona Prototype Class. Papis is also the winner of three CART Champ Car events, and has 10 combined victories between the former Grand-Am Sports Car Series and the American Le Mans Series.
Keen has extensive sportscar experience having raced in British GT and the International GT Open in 2014 in addition to his efforts in the Radical Series.
"We look forward to Phil Keen being a part of the lineup for the Rolex 24 in January," said Nelson. "Phil is an accomplished racer, and he will make a great addition to the No. 31 team. Whelen Engineering was a sponsor of the Sunoco Whelen Challenge, and Phil certainly proved he has what it takes to come compete in the Rolex 24 at Daytona."
Keen will join the team for the ’Roar Before the 24’ January 9-11, 2015 in preparation for the Rolex 24 to be held January 20-25, 2015.
Action Express Racing
• 2014 IMSA Tudor United SportsCar Champions
• 2014 Tequila PatrÃ³n North American Endurance Cup Champions
• Two time and defending winners of the Rolex 24 at Daytona
• Three victories in 2014, Daytona International Speedway, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Road America
• Overall winners of nine events since the team was formed in 2010
• 2014 IMSA Tudor United SportsCar Championship winning chassis
• 2014 Tequila PatrÃ³n North American Endurance Cup Championship winning chassis
• Coyote Chassis won four events and three poles in 2014 in the IMSA Tudor United Sports Car Championship
• Coyote Chassis are used by Action Express Racing, Spirit of Daytona and Whelen Motorsports
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017