NWSMT • September 15, 2014
Holds Off Late Charge By Seuss For South Boston Checkered Flag
SOUTH BOSTON, Va. - There must be something about the state of Virginia that brings out the best in Kyle Ebersole.
The Hummelstown, Pennsylvania, driver decided to change up his pit strategy and pit early on Lap 53, allowing him to hold off a late charge by Andy Seuss to win the South Boston 150 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour event at South Boston Speedway. It was the second career victory for Ebersole. His first came last season at Langley Speedway in Hampton, Virginia.
Seuss made several attempts in his quest for a season sweep at South Boston, but was ultimately forced to settle for second. He was followed across the line by George Brunnhoelzl III, Burt Myers and J.R. Bertuccio.
Ebersole and Seuss had the fans on their feet over the final 10 laps of the races as the duo raced in a pack of lapped traffic with Ebersole able to hold off Seuss and score the win.
"I was really nervous late in the race as I knew everyone had fresher tires than me but we were able to hold on and get the win," Ebersole said. "That was a lot of fun."
Pole winner Danny Bohn, rookie Spencer Davis, Jason Myers, Joe Ryan Osborne, and Thomas Stinson rounded out the top-10 finishers.
The race was slowed just three times by caution with one multi-car incident on Lap 40.
NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee Rex White served as the Grand Marshall and honorary starter of the race.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will next head to Southern National Motorsports Park on Sept. 20.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-South Boston 150 Results
At South Boston Speedway
South Boston, Va.
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (5) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 150 laps, 56.338 mph.
2. (4) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (2) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (3) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
5. (10) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (1) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 150.
7. (6) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 150.
8. (11) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
9. (8) Joe Ryan Osborne, Holland, Pa., Chevrolet, 149.
10. (13) Thomas Stinson, Chester, Va., Chevrolet, 149.
11. (19) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 149.
12. (18) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 148.
13. (7) Brian Loftin, Lexington, N.C., Chevrolet, 124.
14. (14) Luke Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Ford, 94, accident.
15. (12) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 38, distributor.
16. (9) Daniel Speeney, Newtown, PA, Chevrolet, 38, accident.
17. (17) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 38, accident.
18. (16) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet, 38, accident.
19. (15) A.J. Winstead, Bon Air, Va., Chevrolet, 34, steering.
Time of Race: 1 hour 3 minutes 54 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.393 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Bohn (96.651 mph, 14.899 seconds)
Caution Flags: 3 for 31 laps.
Lead Changes: 6 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: D. Bohn 1-52; A. Seuss 53; D. Bohn 54-56; A. Seuss 57-101; K. Ebersole 102-103; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 104; K. Ebersole 105-150.
Standings: 1. A. Seuss, 429; 2. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 405; 3. B. Myers, 391; 4. J. Bertuccio, 390; 5. D. Bohn, 383; 6. L. Fleming, 368; 7. K. Ebersole, 365; 8. G. Putnam, 350; 9. J. Myers, 342; 10. S. Davis, 341.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017