NWSMT • September 12, 2016
Holds Off Bohn After Late Caution Sets Up Dash To Finish
ROBERSONVILLE, N.C. (Sept. 11, 2016) – After coming close several times to securing the checkered flag in the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour, Bobby Measmer Jr. finally celebrated his first victory Sunday at East Carolina Motor Speedway.
Measmer Jr. took the lead on Lap 130 and held off Danny Bohn after a late caution to win weather-delayed the Visit Martin County 150 in his 32 career start.
Bohn passed Jeremy Gerstner for second on the final restart while Gerstner held on to equal his career-best tour finish in third.
Jason Myers and points leader Burt Myers completed the top five.
Measmer qualified sixth and quickly moved into the top five were he would remain for most of the inaugural event at high-banked short track.
Burt Myers won the Coors Light Pole Award and led the first 53 laps before Gerstner, who qualified fourth, took the lead on Lap 54. Myers took the lead on Lap 66 and remained out front until making a pit stop under caution on Lap 87.
Kyle Bonsignore assumed the top spot on a restart after a caution and stayed out front until Lap 109 when Gerstner took the lead a second time on Lap 109.
Gerstner led the next 21 laps before Measmer made his pass.
The race was slowed five times by caution for 29 laps.
George Brunnhoelzl, III was sixth with Andy Seuss, Bonsignore, Trey Hutchens III and Robert Baab completed the top 10.
Myers was able to add four points to his points lead over Seuss to now hold a 14-point advantage (344-330) with three races remaining on the 2016 schedule.
The southern tour returns to action on Saturday, Sept. 17 at South Boston (Va.) Speedway for the South Boston 150 at 8 p.m.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Visit Martin County 150 Results
At East Carolina Motor Speedway
Lap length: 0.375 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (6) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 66.634 mph.
2. (7) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 150.
3. (4) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 150.
4. (2) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
5. (1) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
6. (8) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (3) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150.
8. (5) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
9. (10) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 149.
10. (11) Robert Baab, Pontiac, 148.
11. (12) Lauren Edgerton, Chevrolet, 147.
12. (9) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., 134, rear end.
Time of Race: 50 minutes 39 seconds
Margin of Victory: .601 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B.Myers (92.333 mph, 14.621 seconds)
Caution Flags: 5 for 29 laps.
Lead Changes: 6 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B. Myers 1-53; J. Gerstner 54-65; B. Myers 66-87; R. Baab 88-92; K. Bonsignore 93-108; J. Gerstner 109-129; B. Measmer,Jr. 130-150.
Standings: 1. B. Myers, 344; 2. A. Seuss, 330; 3. B. Measmer,Jr., 314; 4. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 313; 5. D. Bohn, 311; 6. J. Myers, 306; 7. K. Bonsignore, 285; 8. G. Putnam, 282; 9. J. Gerstner, 274; 10. K. Ebersole, 241.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017