NWSMT • August 08, 2016
Gets Lead Late, Hold Off Brother for Emotional Victory
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (Aug. 6, 2016) – Burt Myers is no stranger to winning races at Bowman Gray Stadium as the third-generation driver is closing in on his seventh track championship, but it had been a long time since he celebrated in Victory Lane after a NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour race. Not anymore.
Myers took the top spot after leader Kyle Ebersole and Danny Bohn got together on a restart on Lap 161 and held off his brother Jason to win the Strutmasters.com 199 Saturday for his third win of the season and first tour win at the Stadium since 2007.
Myers qualified eighth and slowly made his way up through the field in the first half of the race until he was in the top three after the fifth of six caution flags was given to the field on Lap 156.
Andy Seuss rebounded from being involved in a caution on Lap 57 to finish third with Bobby Measmer Jr. and Gary Putnam completing the top five.
Ebersole won his first Coors Light Pole Award and led the first 67 laps of the race before Bohn, who qualified third, jumped to the lead for the first time on Lap 68. The duo exchanged the lead one more time before their incident on Lap 161.
Bohn, who was going for his third straight win at Bowman Gray in this race, led 77 laps before his contact with Ebersole, who led a race-high 84 laps.
With the win, Myers continues his quest for a second tour championship with a 17-point lead over Andy Seuss (268-251) with George Brunnhoelzl III third at 243. Brunnhoelzl finished 14th after getting collected in an accident on a Lap 58 restart and was unable to continue the race.
The Strutmasters.com 199 will air on NBCSN on Friday, Aug. 26 at 11 a.m. ET.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action on Wednesday, Aug. 17 in the Bush’s Beans 150 combination race with the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour at Bristol Motor Speedway in Brostol, Tenn.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Strutmasters.com 199 Results
At Bowman Gray Stadium
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (8) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 199 laps, 42.042 mph.
2. (9) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 199.
3. (5) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 199.
4. (6) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 199.
5. (15) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 199.
6. (13) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet, 195.
7. (16) Shawn Balluzo, Newport News, VA, Chevrolet, 195.
8. (17) Austin Pickens, Orlando, Fla., Chevrolet, 193.
9. (7) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 187.
10. (1) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 183, electrical.
11. (3) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 161, accident.
12. (10) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 155, handling.
13. (2) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, NY, Chevrolet, 153.
14. (4) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 56, accident.
15. (14) Dalton Baldwin, Dunedin, Fla., Chevrolet, 48, accident.
16. (12) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 36, accident.
17. (11) James Civali, Meriden, Conn, Pontiac, 34, rear end.
Time of Race: 1 hour 11 minutes 0 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.967 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: K.Ebersole (67.204 mph, 13.392 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 43 laps.
Lead Changes: 7 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: K. Ebersole 1-67; D. Bohn 68; K. Ebersole 69-71; D. Bohn 72-147; K. Ebersole 148-161; B. Myers 162-167; J. Myers 168; B. Myers 169-199.
Standings: 1. B. Myers, 268; 2. A. Seuss, 251; 3. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 243; 4. J. Myers, 232; 5. D. Bohn, 228; 6. B. Measmer,Jr., 227; 7. K. Bonsignore, 211; 8. G. Putnam, 211; 9. K. Ebersole, 195; 10. J. Gerstner, 194.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017