NWSMT • September 23, 2014
Veteran Scores Another Triumph At Southern National
LUCAMA, N.C. - Whatever Burt Myers did to turn his season around it has worked.
For just the second time in his career and the first time since 2005, Myers led every lap to win the Southern National 150 at Southern National Motorsports Park after holding off a hard charge from George Brunnhoelzl III, to pick up his third victory in the past four races.
Kyle Ebersole, who won last week at South Boston Speedway, followed in third with David Calabrese and rookie Joe Ryan Osborne completing the top five.
With his third win Myers equaled his career-best for victories in a season in NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour competition having scored three checkered flags last year and also during the inaugural 2005 campaign for the tour.
"I can’t believe the run we are having right now," Myers said. "Everybody on all these teams works hard, but I can’t be more proud of my guys and I am so happy I can give them another win."
Myers started from pole in a race that went caution free for the first 101 laps of the race before the first of three caution flags were displayed to the field.
On the initial restart after pits stops during the first caution Brunnhoelzl charged from fourth to second and made several charges to his bumper to get around Myers but couldn’t make it work.
"We were just way too loose and everytime I tried to get on the throttle the car got way loose," said Brunnhoelzl.
J.R. Bertuccio, who picked up his first career win at Southern National in the spring event, finished sixth with Danny Bohn, Andy Seuss, Jason Myers and Spencer Davis completing the top 10.
Seuss maintains his points lead over Brunnhoelzl by 18 points with three races remaining on the schedule.
The modifieds return to action next Saturday, September 27 at Caraway Speedway in Sophia, N.C.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Southern National 150 Results
At Southern National Motorsports Park
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150 laps, 78.431 mph.
2. (4) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (5) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 150.
4. (10) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (7) Joe Ryan Osborne, Holland, Pa., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (6) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (9) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 150.
8. (2) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (14) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
10. (3) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 150.
11. (13) Luke Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Ford, 149.
12. (8) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 149.
13. (15) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 148.
14. (11) A.J. Winstead, Bon Air, Va., Chevrolet, 146.
15. (12) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 146.
16. (16) Thomas Stinson, Chester, Va., Chevrolet, 0, did not start.
Time of Race: 45 minutes 54 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.484 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B.Myers (98.468 mph, 14.624 seconds)
Caution Flags: 3 for 15 laps.
Lead Changes: 0 among 1 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B. Myers 1-150.
Standings: 1. A. Seuss, 465; 2. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 447; 3. B. Myers, 439; 4. J. Bertuccio, 428; 5. D. Bohn, 420; 6. K. Ebersole, 406; 7. L. Fleming, 401; 8. G. Putnam, 381; 9. J. Myers, 377; 10. S. Davis, 375.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017