NWSMT • April 02, 2015
Analyzing The South Boston 150 At South Boston Speedway
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 1, 2015) - The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour heads to South Boston Speedway for the first time this season with Saturday’s South Boston 150. Below is a statistical look at the performance of selected drivers at the track:
South Boston 150 Setup:
• Andy Seuss is the only two-time winner in NWSMT competition at South Boston Speedway after winning the first race held there in 2009 and this race last April.
• Kyle Ebersole and George Brunnhoelzl III are the only other previous race winners at South Boston currently entered in this weekend’s race.
• NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour regulars Eric Goodale and Ryan Preece are entered for this race with Goodale leading the NWSMT standings after the first two races. He enters this weekend with an eight-point lead over Jason Myers (89-81).
At South Boston Speedway:
• South Boston Speedway opened in 1957. The facility is owned by the Mattioli family, which also owns and operates Pocono Raceway.
• South Boston features weekly NASCAR Whelen All-American Series action on Saturday nights during the racing season, headlined by the late model division.
• The track held 10 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races between 1960-71, 35 NASCAR XFINITY Series events from 1982-2000, three NASCAR Camping World Truck Series dates from 2001-03 and five NASCAR K&N Pro Series East contests from 2007-11.
• South Boston held the 2001 season opener for the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, an event won by Jerry Marquis. It marked the only event to-date for the northeastern-based tour at South Boston.
• The first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour race at South Boston was contested on April 4, 2009 and won by Seuss.
• There have been six different winners in the seven previous NWSMT races at South Boston.
• Four different drivers have earned Coors Light Pole Awards at South Boston since the first race in 2009. George Brunnhoelzl III is the only active driver with two.
• Brunnhoelzl, Jason Myers and Seuss are the only drivers to compete in all seven previous NWSMT events at South Boston.
• Brunnhoelzl is the only driver to win in wire-to-wire fashion at South Boston, on April 13, 2013.
• Seuss was the youngest South Boston race winner at 22 years, 20 days on April 4, 2009.
• Ted Christopher was the oldest South Boston victor at 52 years, 10 months, 12 days on April 17, 2011.
South Boston Speedway Data
Season Race #: 3 of 11 overall, 1 of 2 at South Boston
Track Layout: .4-mile asphalt oval
Banking/Turns: 12 degrees
Banking/Straights: 10 degrees
Race Length: 150 laps / 60 miles
2014 Pole Winner: Danny Bohn
2013 Race Winner: Andy Seuss
Track Qualifying Record: L.W. Miller, Chevrolet, 14.466 seconds, 99.544 mph, April 14, 2012
Active Category Leaders at South Boston:
1. Andy Seuss … 2
2. five drivers with … 1
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 2
2. three drivers with … 1
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 5
Andy Seuss … 5
3. four drivers with … 2
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 6
Burt Myers … 6
3. Jason Myers … 5
Andy Seuss … 5
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 312
2. Andy Seuss … 268
3. Kyle Ebersole … 48
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 1049
2. Andy Seuss … 993
3. Jason Myers … 989
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 7
Jason Myers … 7
Andy Seuss … 7
Selected Driver Highlights:
JR Bertuccio (No. 2 Gershow Recycling Chevrolet)
• Has two wins and 22 top 10s in 42 career NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour starts. The wins came at Southern National Motorsports Park and Bristol Motor Speedway last season.
• Enjoyed his best career finish to date in the final points standings (fourth) in 2014.
• In five career NWSMT starts at South Boston Speedway he has one pole (2009), one top five and three top-10 finishes, with an average finish of 11th and a best result of fifth in this race last year.
George Brunnhoelzl III (No. 28 Composite Technologies Chevrolet)
• Has a record four NWSMT championships (2009, `11, `12, `13).
• Has 22 wins, 22 poles, 49 podiums, 61 top fives, 75 top 10s and 2,844 laps led in 95 career starts.
• Holds NWSMT all-time records for wins and laps led. Ranks second in poles, third in top fives and fourth in top 10s.
• Has recorded at least one win a season in every year he has competed full-time on the NWSMT since 2008.
• Brunnhoelzl competed in the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour in 2010.
• Has one win from the pole (2013) at South Boston with five top-five finishes in seven starts.
Spencer Davis (No. 79 Hillbilly Racing Pontiac)
• Has two top fives and eight top 10s in 16 career starts.
• Finished seventh at South Boston on Sept. 13, 2014 for his lone top 10 finish in two starts at
• Is the reigning Sunoco Rookie of the Year Award winner.
Kyle Ebersole (No. 5 Ebersole Excavating Ford)
• Has two wins, 18 top fives and 28 top 10s in 38 career starts. The first victory was earned at
Langley Speedway in 2013 and the second came at South Boston Speedway on Sept. 13, 2014.
• Ranked sixth in points with 10 top-10 finishes last season.
• Has an average finish of sixth and two top fives, in addition to his win last fall, in four career South Boston starts.
Frank Fleming (No. 40 AutosByNelson.com Chevrolet)
• This veteran driver has returned to the seat for the first time since 2012. He has one win (Bristol -
2011) one pole, 25 top-five and 61 top-10 finishes in 98 career starts.
• Finished in the top-10 in the final standings each year from 2005-12, with a career best of fifth in
• Has an average finish of 10 and one top-10 finish in four starts at South Boston.
Eric Goodale (No. 58 Heritage Wide Plank Flooring Chevrolet)
• Has a win, a pole and 35 top 10s in 86 career NWMT starts. The win came at his home track
Riverhead Raceway in June 2014.
• Maintains the NWMT’s longest active starts streak, now at 84 races.
• Picked up his first career NWSMT win on March 15 at Caraway Speedway and finished second in
the most recent NWSMT race at Caraway.
• This will be his first NWSMT start at South Boston.
Brian Loftin (No. 23 L&R Transmissions Chevrolet)
• The 2008 NWSMT champion has 12 wins, 13 poles, 40 top fives and 53 top 10s in 86 career
• Has two top fives and three top 10s in five career South Boston starts.
Burt Myers (No. 1 Remington SCT/Citrusafe/Speedway Auto Auction Ford)
• The 2010 NWSMT champion has 15 wins, a tour record 28 poles, 62 top fives and 99 top 10s in
119 career starts.
• Finished third in the final standings last season with four wins, 12 top 10s and nine top fives in 14
• Rebounded from mechanical problems in the season opener at Caraway to finish sixth and
finished fifth last week at Caraway.
• Has two top fives and six top 10s in six career South Boston starts.
Jason Myers (No. 4 Adams Towing Ford)
• Has recorded three wins, 38 top fives and 90 top 10s in a NWSMT-record 124 career starts. Has competed in all but one race (2005-Martinsville Speedway) in the tour’s previous 10 seasons.
• Finished 2014 in 10th place in the final standings with eight top 10s and two top fives.
• Has five top 10s, highlighted by three seventh-place finishes in seven previous races at South Boston.
Ryan Preece (No. 98 Curb Records Chevrolet)
• The 2013 NWMT champion and has 11 wins, 64 top 10s and 48
top-five finishes in 108 starts. He also has started from the pole 12 times.
• Has a win and six top fives in 11 career NWSMT starts. He has also won seven pole awards.
• This will be his first NWSMT start at South Boston and will be a teammate of Gary Putnam and
car owner Mike Curb.
Gary Putnam (No. 77 Curb Records Chevrolet)
• Has 21 top 10s in 47 career starts with a best finish of fifth at Caraway in 2013.
• Finished in the top 10 in the final 2014 standings with a career-best showing of eighth place with
seven top 10s in 14 races.
• Finished seventh in the season opener at Caraway on March 15 and eighth last weekend at
• Has two top 10s and an average finish of 11th in five career starts at South Boston.
Andy Seuss (No. 11 Ideal Finance/Phoenix Motors Chevrolet)
• The 2014 NWSMT champion has 19 wins, 11 poles, 58 top fives and 75 top 10s in 96 career NWSMT starts. His 19 wins rank second all-time.
• Last year’s title run featured a pair of wins at Caraway and one at South Boston. He had 12 top fives and was the only driver to finish in the top 10 in all 14 races.
• Is the only two-time winner at South Boston with wins coming in 2009 and last April. In addition to his pair of wins he has five top five finishes with an average finish of fifth at the track.
• Joins George Brunnhoelzl III and Jason Myers as the only driver to start all previous seven NWSMT races at South Boston.
Up To Speed:
• Eric Goodale was able to pass Jason Myers on a restart on Lap 124 and held off a late charge by
Myers to pick up his first NWSMT win in his second start. The race featured five former or
defending NASCAR Whelen Modified and Southern Modified Tour champions in the field with all
five suffering either mechanical issues or involved in an accident.
• Andy Seuss was able to hold off Goodale on a late restart and score his 11 career win at Caraway Speedway.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017