NWSMT • September 06, 2016
Analyzing the Visit Martin County 150 at East Carolina Speedway
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Aug. 31, 2016) – The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will visit East Carolina Motor Speedway in Robersonville, North Carolina for the first time this Saturday for the Visit Martin County 150. Below is a statistical look at the recent performance of the tour and selected drivers, as well as some other statistical trends:
Visit Martin County 150 Setup:
• This will be the first visit to the 3/8-mile track 12-year history of the tour.
At East Carolina
• East Carolina Motor Speedway opened in 1990 under the ownership of Gerald Whitehurst, Durwood Allen and Lee Harney. Over the years, others leased and operated the track. By 2005, Whitehurst had bought out his partners and accepted an offer late that year to sell the track to Wayne M. Perry of Elizabeth City, N.C.
• The 3/8-mile D-shaped track features 24 degree banking in the turns.
• Among the drivers who have raced at ECMS are former NSCS drivers Ernie Irvan, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Rick Mast.
• Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender Shawn Balluzo also competes in the local modified division at the track in addition to starting in the NWSMT in April at South Boston.
East Carolina Data
Race: #8 of 11 (8/6/16)
Track Layout: .3/8-mile banked oval
Race Length: 150 laps (56.25 miles)
Selected Driver Highlights:
JR Bertuccio (No. 2 Gershow Recycling Chevrolet)
• Has two wins and 29 top 10s in 53 career NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour starts. The wins came at Southern National Motorsports Park and Bristol Motor Speedway (NWSMT) in 2014.
• Enjoyed his best career finish to date in the final points standings (fourth) in 2014.
Danny Bohn (No. 40 Dunleavy’s Truck & Trailer Repair/William Smith Trucking Chevrolet)
• This New Jersey native has four wins, seven poles, 23 top-five and 38 top-10 finishes in 47 career starts.
• Finished in the top 10 in the final standings each year from 2012-14 and competed part-time last year.
• Returns to full-time competition this season with Frank and Chris Fleming.
Kyle Bonsignore (No. 22 Snap-On Tools Chevrolet)
• Has made nine career NWSMT starts with his lone top-five and five top-10 finishes coming earlier this season.
• Collected his first career top-five finish on the southern tour in April at South Boston.
• One of two Sunoco Rookie of the Year contenders this season in the NWSMT.
George Brunnhoelzl III (No. 28 Dunleavy’s Truck & Trailer Repair/Comp. Tech. Chevrolet)
• Has a record four NWSMT championships (2009, `11, `12, `13).
• Has 27 wins, 26 poles, 54 podiums, 71 top fives, 86 top 10s and 3,106 laps led in 110 career starts.
• Holds NWSMT all-time records for wins and laps led. Ranks second in poles, third in top fives and fourth in top 10s.
• Has recorded at least one win a season in every year he has competed full-time on the NWSMT since 2008.
• Competed in the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour in 2010.
Jeremy Gerstner (No. 15 GMR Lawncare/Carriage House Restaurant Chevrolet)
• Competing fulltime this season for modified veteran car owner Grady Jeffreys Sr.
• Has scored two top-five, 12 top 10s in 32 career starts with a best finish of third at Bowman Gray in 2015.
Bobby Measmer Jr. (No. 74 Lead 2 Real Estate Chevrolet)
• The Concord, N.C., driver has one pole (South Boston, 2015), seven top-five and 17 top-10 finishes in 31 career starts.
Burt Myers (No. 1 Remington SCT/Citrusafe/Speedway Auto Auction Ford)
• The 2010 NWSMT champion has 19 wins, a tour record 29 poles, 74 top fives and 113 top 10s in 135 career starts.
• Finished third in the final standings last season with four wins, nine top fives and 12 top 10s in 14 races.
Jason Myers (No. 4 Adams Towing/Moorefield Enterprises Ford)
• Has recorded three wins, 46 top fives and 104 top 10s in a NWSMT-record 139 career starts. Has competed in all but one race (2005-Martinsville Speedway) in the tour’s previous 11 seasons.
• Finished 2015 a career-best third place in the final standings as the only driver to finish in the top 10 in every race all season.
Gary Putnam (No. 77 Curb Records Chevrolet)
• Has 30 top 10s in 62 career starts with a career best finish of fifth at Caraway in 2013.
• Finished in the top 10 in the final 2015 standings with six top 10s in 10 races, equaling his career-best showing of eighth place in 2014.
Andy Seuss (No. 11 Davis Roofing/Vestal Buick GMC Chevrolet)
• Has 22 wins, 12 poles, 69 top fives and 89 top 10s in 111 career NWSMT starts. His 22 wins rank second all-time.
• Finished first in the championship standings last season with a pair of wins at Caraway and one at South Boston. He had 12 top fives and was the only driver to finish in the top 10 in all 14 races.
Up To Speed:
• Burt Myers made a late pass around Danny Bohn to pick up the season-opening win and 17th overall in his career in the southern tour.
• George Brunnhoelzl III made a late pass by Ted Christopher to add to his record-setting number of wins on the tour with his first victory of the year and 26th overall.
• Brunnhoelzl III won back-to-back races on the schedule for the seventh time in his career after taking the checkered flag in the South Boston 150.
• Burt Myers held off his brother Jason is winning the Dogwood 150 in the most recent race on the tour at Caraway in April. First time in his career he’s picked up two wins before the annual spring break.
• Andy Seuss picked up his first win of the season at Caraway Speedway. The two-time defending tour champion now has 12 wins at the track.
• Burt Myers held off his brother Jason to score his second career tour win at Bowman Gray Stadium and score his third win overall on the season.
• Kyle Ebersole finished just ahead of Andy Seuss in the NWMT/NWSMT combination race at Bristol to be the top placing southern tour regular which credits him with his third career win on the tour.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017