NASCAR K&N Pro Series East • August 31, 2015
Scores Fifth Career NASCAR K&N Pro East Win In Wild Finish
ALTON, Va. (Aug. 29, 2015) - Sometimes it’s good to be at the right place at the right time and that was true for Sergio Pena Saturday in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East Biscuitville 125 at Virginia International Raceway.
Pena driving the No. 42 Special Smiles Pediatric Dentistry Toyota for REV Racing, took advantage of a couple of cars going off course during the final green-white-checkered attempt to collect his fifth career win.
With the 22-year-old Westminster, Virginia, native’s win, REV Racing has won at least one victory in six consecutive K&N East seasons dating back to 2010.
Pena started fifth on the final restart on Lap 59 and moved up to third after leader Austin Hill spun in Turn 1 allowing Dalton Sargeant to take the lead. Sargeant would also spin out while leading in Turn 7 which put Grala and Pena in the battle for the lead.
The two made contact and Pena was able to use the inside line to stay out front and score the win in just his third start of the season while filling in for Jay Beasley while he receives medical treatment.
Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender David Garbo Jr. followed Grala in third for his first career podium finish with fellow rookie Collin Cabre coming home fourth. J.J. Haley, who led for six laps, completed the top five.
Hill, who rebounded from an early spin to make his way back to the front before his final spin, rebounded to finish sixth with Nick Drake, Dale Quarterly, Sargeant and points leader William Byron rounding out the top 10.
Defending race winner Scott Heckert, started the race from the pole position and led the race on three different occasions, but suffered a broken rear end on Lap 46 to finished 15th and allowed Byron to build his points lead to 15 points with two races remaining on the schedule.
The Biscuitville 150 will air on NBCSN on Thursday, Sept. 3 at 7 p.m.
The NASCAR K&N Pro Series East returns to the track UNOH 100 at Richmond International Raceway on Thursday, Sept. 10th.
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES EAST-Biscuitville 125 Results
At Virginia International Raceway
Lap length: 2.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (13) Sergio Pena, Winchester, VA, Toyota, 61 laps, 62.584 mph.
2. (6) Kaz Grala, Westborough, Mass., Toyota, 61.
3. (15) David Garbo, Jr., Stonington, Conn., Chevrolet, 61.
4. (14) Collin Cabre, Tampa, FL, Toyota, 61.
5. (3) J.J. Haley, Winamac, IN, Chevrolet, 61.
6. (4) Austin Hill, Winston, Ga., Ford, 61.
7. (2) Nick Drake, Mooresville, N.C., Toyota, 61.
8. (10) Dale Quarterley, Westfield, MA, Chevrolet, 61.
9. (5) Dalton Sargeant, Boca Raton, FL, Chevrolet, 61.
10. (7) William Byron, Charlotte, N.C., Chevrolet, 61.
11. (17) Christian Celaya, Caborca, Mexico, Chevrolet, 61.
12. (11) Brandon Gdovic, Yorktown, Va., Toyota, 60.
13. (18) Chuck Buchanan, Jr., Hildebran, N.C., Chevrolet, 53.
14. (12) Kenzie Ruston, El Reno, Okla., Toyota, 47, accident.
15. (1) Scott Heckert, Ridgefield, Conn., Chevrolet, 46, rear end.
16. (8) Rico Abreu, St. Helena, Calif., Chevrolet, 30, accident.
17. (9) Devon Amos, Rio Rancho, N.M., Toyota, 25, suspension.
18. (16) Zeb Pixley, Rixeyville, Va., Chevrolet, 21, transmission.
Time of Race: 2 hours 11 minutes 35 seconds
Margin of Victory: .212 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: S.Heckert (92.758 mph, 87.324 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 17 laps.
Lead Changes: 8 among 5 drivers.
Lap Leaders: S. Heckert 1-13; A. Hill 14-16; S. Heckert 17-38; D. Sargeant 39-44; S. Heckert 45; J. Haley 46-51; A. Hill 52-59; D. Sargeant 60; S. Pena 61.
Standings: 1. W. Byron, 471; 2. S. Heckert, 456; 3. A. Hill, 448; 4. D. Sargeant, 432; 5. K. Grala, 422; 6. J. Haley, 421; 7. R. Abreu, 417; 8. N. Drake, 408; 9. K. Benjamin, 380; 10. K. Ruston, 355.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017