NWSMT • April 06, 2015
Dominant In Second Career Whelen Southern Mod Win
SOUTH BOSTON, Va. (April 4, 2015) - Ryan Preece attained what often seemed to be an inevitable result when he took the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour checkered flag Saturday at South Boston Speedway, but it wasn’t without some late-race drama.
Preece led the South Boston 150 throughout en route to his second career southern tour victory, the majority of the time comfortably in the perch. Two late-race cautions provided an extra challenge for the Berlin, Connecticut, native, but he was able to emerge ahead in both green-white-checkered flag restart attempts for the win.
JR Bertuccio crossed the line second and was joined on the podium by Burt Myers while Eric Goodale and Danny Bohn finished fourth and fifth, respectively. Kyle Ebersole, David Calabrese, Trey Hutchens, Gary Putnam and Jason Myers brought home the top 10.
Defending South Boston 150 winner and reigning tour champion Andy Seuss was involved in the first accident caution of the race and relegated to a 16th place finish, 57 laps down.
Preece, the 2013 champion of the northeast-based NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour where he regularly competes, has branched out to the southern sister tour on a limited basis in recent seasons. While he’s consistently had fast cars - he earned his eighth Coors Light Pole Award in 12 career appearances earlier in the day at South Boston - Preece has had defeat snatched from the jaws of victory on multiple occasions due to mechanical failures and accidents.
There were no gremlins for Preece on this sunny Saturday afternoon in the rolling hills of southern Virginia, however. It was a perfect day in the No. 98 Curb Records/Menards Chevrolet: fastest in practice and qualifying, and led the race throughout. If not for his pit box position being behind the start-finish line, Preece would have led all 160 laps, but Bertuccio was credited with one lap led under caution as his box was in front of the line.
Preece’s previous Whelen Southern Modified Tour triumph came in 2013 at Bowman Gray Stadium.
The Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return to the Commonwealth of Virginia next Saturday, April 11 for the Pepsi 150 at Langley Speedway in Hampton.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-South Boston 150 Results
At South Boston Speedway
South Boston, Va.
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., 160 laps, 69.818 mph.
2. (4) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 160.
3. (8) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 160.
4. (9) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 160.
5. (11) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 159.
6. (6) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 159.
7. (15) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 159.
8. (17) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 157.
9. (13) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 157.
10. (3) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 153.
11. (7) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 152.
12. (14) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 152.
13. (19) Paul Hartwig Jr., Chevrolet, 152.
14. (10) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 151.
15. (16) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 151.
16. (5) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 103.
17. (12) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 93.
18. (2) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 88, accident.
19. (18) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 85, accident.
Time of Race: 55 minutes 0 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.361 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R.Preece (99.358 mph, 14.493 seconds)
Caution Flags: 3 for 16 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Preece 1-91; J. Bertuccio 92; R. Preece 93-160.
Standings: 1. E. Goodale, 129; 2. R. Preece, 120; 3. J. Bertuccio, 119; 4. B. Myers, 118; 5. J. Myers, 115; 6. G. Putnam, 107; 7. K. Ebersole, 106; 8. D. Calabrese, 105; 9. F.Fleming, 105; 10. J. Smith, 102.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017