NWSMT • August 05, 2013
Leads Wire-To-Wire For First NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour Win
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (Aug. 3, 2013) â€“ Ryan Preece recorded his first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour victory in style, leading every lap in the Kevin Powell Motorsports 199 at the historic Bowman Gray Stadium on Saturday.
The 22-year-old from Berlin, Conn., became the seventh driver in series history to win at the track. It was the second Modified event in as many nights for Preece, who finished 16th in the CARQUEST 150 at Stafford (Conn.) Motor Speedway on Friday evening in NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour action.
Five-time Bowman Gray track champion Burt Myers crossed the finish line second for his 50th top five in 98 tour starts. Cole Powell joined him on the podium in third, the same position he finished in at this event a season ago. Danny Bohn and Tim Brown completed the top five.
John Smith, Jeremy Gerstner, Luke Fleming, Gary Putnam and Andy Seuss brought home the top 10.
Series points leader and the defending race winner George Brunnhoelzl III encountered panhard bar troubles during the second half of the race and finished 14th, snapping his three race winning streak. Despite the troubles, Brunnhoelzl still holds a 21-point lead on Kyle Ebersole in the season standings and has a 27-point advantage on Myers.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour next travels to the legendary Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway on Wednesday, Aug. 21 for its annual clash with the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour in the Titan Roof 150. The race will be telecast live by FS2 with coverage beginning at 6 p.m. ET.
NASCAR WHELEN SOUTHERN MODIFIED TOUR-Kevin Powell Motorsports 199 Results
At Bowman Gray Stadium
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 199 laps, 44.310 mph.
2. (3) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 199.
3. (4) Cole Powell, Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada, Chevrolet, 199.
4. (10) Danny Bohn, Freehold, N.J., Chevrolet, 199.
5. (8) Tim Brown, Rural Hall, N.C., Chevrolet, 199.
6. (9) John Smith, Mount Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 199.
7. (17) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Chevrolet, 199.
8. (13) Luke Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Ford, 199.
9. (19) Gary Putnam, Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 198.
10. (2) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 195.
11. (12) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 173, accident.
12. (11) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 172.
13. (7) Cody Ware, Greensboro, N.C., Chevrolet, 163, accident.
14. (6) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 157.
15. (15) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 156.
16. (18) JR Bertuccio, Centerrach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 152, accident.
17. (20) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet, 149.
18. (16) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 118, brakes.
19. (5) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Pontiac, 118, accident.
20. (14) Brian Loftin, Lexington, N.C., Chevrolet, 57, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 7 minutes 22 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.040 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R. Preece (67.603 mph, 13.313 seconds)
Caution Flags: 8 for 49 laps.
Lead Changes: 0 among 1 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Preece 1-199.
Standings: 1. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 256; 2. K. Ebersole, 235; 3. B. Myers, 229; 4. T. Brown, 223; 5. A. Seuss, 221; 6. J. Myers, 213; 7. G. Putnam, 208; 8. D. Bohn, 207; 9. L. Fleming, 204; 10. J. Smith, 201
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017