Dominates action at Caraway Speedway for third victory this year
ASHEBORO, N.C. - Andy Seuss led flag-to-flag to win the Caraway 150 at a blistering pace at Caraway Speedway on Saturday.
The victory on the .455-mile paved oval marked the third win this year and 11th career win for the Hampstead, N.H., driver. It was his sixth race win at Caraway.
While Seuss gained ground in the championship standings with the win - his teammate, George Brunnhoelzl III, maintained a commanding lead in the points by finishing second. Brunnhoelzl's lead dropped from 150 points to 130 on the night.
Seuss dashed into the lead past pole-sitter Brunnhoelzl at the drop of the green and then maintained command through two early restarts. He paced the field from there to the finish, with his biggest challenge appearing to be working lapped traffic late in the race.
Seuss won by a margin of 2.785 seconds over Brunnhoelzl. Tim Brown took third, with Brian Loftin fourth and Brandon Ward charging forward to take fifth. Thomas Stinson, Jason Myers, Burt Myers, Austin Pack and LW Miller completed the top 10.
Pack has locked up this year's Sunoco Rookie of the Year title in the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour.
The Caraway 150, the 12th of 14 races on this year's tour schedule, was originally scheduled for March 26, but was postponed due to heavy rain.
Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Caraway 150 Results
At Caraway (N.C.) Speedway
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, Chevrolet, 150 laps, 53.905 mph.
2. (1) George Brunnhoelzl III, West Babylon, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
3. (4) Tim Brown, Cana, VA, Chevrolet, 150.
4. (5) Brian Loftin, Lexington, NC, Chevrolet, 150.
5. (10) Brandon Ward, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (12) Thomas Stinson, Chester, VA, Chevrolet, 150.
7. (6) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 150.
8. (3) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 149.
9. (11) Austin Pack, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 149.
10. (8) L.W. Miller, Dushore, PA, Chevrolet, 149.
11. (9) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 149.
12. (7) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Ford, 149.
13. (13) Josh Nichols, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 147.
Time of Race: 1 hour 15 minutes 58 seconds
Margin of Victory: 2.785 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: G.Brunnhoelzl III (103.553 mph, 15.818 seconds)
Caution Flags: 2 for 7 laps.
Lead Changes: 1 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: G. Brunnhoelzl III-grid, A. Seuss 1-150.
Standings: 1. G. Brunnhoelzl III, 2041; 2. A. Seuss, 1911; 3. J. Myers, 1798; 4. J. Smith, 1780; 5. T. Brown, 1736; 6. L. Miller, 1735; 7. F. Fleming, 1711; 8. A. Pack, 1612; 9. B. Myers, 1519; 10. T. Stinson, 1314.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017