NWSMT • September 21, 2015
Takes Whelen Southern Modified Lead With South Boston Victory
SOUTH BOSTON, Va. (Sept. 19, 2015) - Andy Seuss took a big step toward successfully defending his NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour championship Saturday night in capturing the South Boston 150 at South Boston Speedway.
It was the third win of the season and 21st of his career for the Hampstead, New Hampshire, driver. Seuss’ No. 11 Northeast Race Cars/Ideal Financial Chevrolet was out front for a race-high 142 laps for his third win on the .400-mile oval.
Four-time tour champion George Brunnhoelzl III followed Seuss across the line in second and moved into championship contention.
Second-year driver Bobby Measmer Jr., who won his first career Coors Light Pole Award earlier in the day, finished a career-best third. Frank Fleming and Jeremy Gerstner rounded out the top five.
Burt Myers was sixth, followed by Jason Myers, Kyle Ebersole, rookie Trey Hutchens and James Civali.
Seuss entered the event trailing Jason Myers by one point for the tour lead, but leaves South Boston with a 10-point lead over Burt and Jason Myers with two races remaining.
Brunnhoelzl is now just three points behind the Myers brothers.
Seuss cleared Brunnhoelzl on the final restart on Lap 119 and slowly pulled away for the win.
The South Boston 150 will air on NBCSN on Thursday, Sept. 24 at 7 p.m.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will be back in action Saturday, Oct. 3 in the Hickory 150 at Hickory (North Carolina) Motor Speedway.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-South Boston 150 Results
At South Boston Speedway
South Boston, Va.
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 77.447 mph.
2. (3) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (1) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (5) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (6) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 150.
6. (10) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
7. (8) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
8. (7) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 150.
9. (11) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
10. (4) James Civali, Meriden, Conn, Pontiac, 150.
11. (9) Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 149.
12. (13) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 148.
13. (12) Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, NY, Chevrolet, 147.
14. (15) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 146.
15. (14) A.J. Winstead, Bon Air, Va., Chevrolet, 93, engine.
Time of Race: 46 minutes 29 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.717 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B.Measmer, Jr. (97.383 mph, 14.787 seconds)
Caution Flags: 2 for 13 laps.
Lead Changes: 4 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Seuss 1-67; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 68-74; A. Seuss 75-118; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 119; A. Seuss 120-150.
Standings: 1. A. Seuss, 355; 2. B. Myers, 345; 3. J. Myers, 345; 4. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 342; 5. K. Ebersole, 339; 6. F. Fleming, 327; 7. B. Measmer,Jr., 323; 8. G. Putnam, 313; 9. J. Gerstner, 305; 10. D. Calabrese, 296.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017