NWSMT • March 30, 2015
Defending Champ Holds Off Goodale on GWC Finish
Sophia, N.C. (March 28, 2015) - What a difference one race can make.
After finishing last in the season opener two weeks ago at Caraway Speedway, Seuss held off Eric Goodale on a green-white-checkered finish to win the Charles Kepley Memorial 150 Saturday in a return to Caraway.
When Andy Seuss looks back on his 11th career NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour win at the track he will probably think of his crew first.
Seuss’ pit crew got him out of the pits first just in front of Eric Goodale on Lap 131, after a spin by Kyle Ebersole brought out the fifth caution flag of the race.
Ryan Preece rebounded from contact with JR Bertuccio on the final restart on Lap 146 to finish third, with Bertuccio and Burt Myers completing the top five.
For most of the race it appeared Bertuccio was on his way to his third career tour win as he took the lead from Preece on Lap 8 and remained out front until the leaders came in for the decisive pit stop.
It was the most laps the Centereach, New York, native had led in competition since he led 145 in his win last April at Southern National Motorsports Park in Kenly, North Carolina.
Jason Myers finished sixth, and Ebersole able to work back through the field after his late spin to finish seventh. Frank Fleming, Gary Putnam and John Smith completed the top 10.
Seuss and the rest of the Southern Modified competitors will be in action next Saturday at Virginia’s South Boston Speedway for the South Boston 150.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Charles Kepley Memorial 150 Results
At Caraway Speedway
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (4) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 154 laps, 63.958 mph.
2. (13) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154.
3. (1) Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 154.
4. (3) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154.
5. (6) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 154.
6. (8) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 154.
7. (2) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 154.
8. (7) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 153.
9. (9) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 153.
10. (15) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 153.
11. (5) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 153.
12. (10) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 152.
13. (12) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 152.
14. (18) Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 151.
15. (19) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
16. (14) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 145.
17. (16) Dalton Baldwin, Dunedin, Fla., Chevrolet, 143.
18. (11) Tom Abele, Jr., Norwich, Conn., Chevrolet, 131, accident.
19. (17) Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 32, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 5 minutes 44 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.241 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R.Preece (104.152 mph, 15.727 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 39 laps.
Lead Changes: 4 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Preece 1-7; J. Bertuccio 8-16; R. Preece 17; J. Bertuccio 18-135; A.Seuss 136-154.
Standings: 1. E. Goodale, 89; 2. J. Myers, 81; 3. B. Myers, 77; 4. J. Bertuccio, 76; 5. J. Smith, 75; 6. A. Seuss, 72; 7. R. Preece, 72; 8. G. Putnam, 72; 9. F. Fleming, 72; 10. B. Measmer,Jr., 70.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017