NWMT • August 02, 2016
Leads Every Lap En Route To Third Whelen Modified Victory
WINCHESTER, N.H. (July 24, 2016) – Timmy Solomito was on cruise control Sunday.
The Islip, New York, driver led every lap – twice pulling away from the field on late-race restarts – as he drove to Victory Lane in the Dunleavy's 200 at Monadnock Speedway. It was the third NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour win of the season for Solomito.
It was the second straight win on one of tour's bullrings. Solomito won at his home track, New York's Riverhead Raceway on June 25. He opened the season at Connecticut's Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park with his first career victory.
Rowan Pennink made a late bid for the win before settling for second, while Jimmy Blewett brought it home third.
Eric Goodale and Justin Bonsignore were fourth and fifth, respectively.
Championship points leads Doug Coby finished sixth, the last car on the lead lap.
Solomito won his second career Coors Light Pole Award in qualifying Saturday, but late day rain pushed the evening race to Sunday afternoon.
The first 153 laps ran Sunday without a caution. Solomito, with Coby on his back bumper, set a blistering pace in the No. 16 Diversified Metals Ford and lapped all but the top five before the first yellow flag flew.
Solomito was able to cut into Coby's lead, with is now 34 after eight of 17 races.
Max Zachem finished sixth, followed by Woody Pitkat, Rob Summers and Donny Lia. Lia is two points behind Solomito and a point ahead of Bonsignore.
The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour returns to Connecticut's Stafford Motor Speedway on Friday, Aug. 5, for the third of its four visits to the half-mile. Coby has won both previous races there this year.
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour-Monadnock "200" Results
At Monadnock Speedway
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Timmy Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Ford, 200 laps, 58.215 mph.
2. (6) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., Chevrolet, 200.
3. (7) Jimmy Blewett, Howell, N.J., Dodge, 200.
4. (8) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 200.
5. (13) Justin Bonsignore, Holtsville, NY, Chevrolet, 200.
6. (3) Doug Coby, Milford, Conn., Chevrolet, 200.
7. (5) Max Zachem, Preston, Conn., Chevrolet, 199.
8. (16) Woody Pitkat, Stafford, Conn., Chevrolet, 199.
9. (14) Rob Summers, Manchester, CT, Chevrolet, 199.
10. (11) Donny Lia, Jericho, NY, Chevrolet, 199.
11. (9) Brendon Bock, Franklin Square, N.Y., Chevrolet, 198.
12. (17) Matt Swanson, Acton, Mass., Chevrolet, 198.
13. (12) Craig Lutz, Miller Place, N.Y., Chevrolet, 198.
14. (19) Dave Sapienza, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 197.
15. (21) Jamie Tomaino, Howell, N.J., Chevrolet, 197.
16. (4) Chase Dowling, Roxbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 197.
17. (2) Ron Silk, Norwalk, CT, Chevrolet, 196.
18. (18) Wade Cole, Hartland, Conn., Chevrolet, 195.
19. (22) Gary McDonald, Ronkonkoma, N.Y., Chevrolet, 192.
20. (15) Bobby Santos, Franklin, Mass., Chevrolet, 167, suspension.
21. (20) Jeff Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 100.
22. (23) Melissa Fifield, Wakefield, N.H., Chevrolet, 52, handling.
23. (10) Shawn Solomito, Islip, N.Y., Chevrolet, 44, rear end.
Time of Race: 51 minutes 32 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.955 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: T.Solomito (72.231 mph, 12.46 seconds)
Caution Flags: 2 for 16 laps.
Lead Changes: 0 among 1 drivers.
Lap Leaders: T. Solomito 1-200.
Standings: 1. D. Coby, 328; 2. T. Solomito, 294; 3. D. Lia, 292; 4. J. Bonsignore, 291;
5. M. Zachem, 274; 6. J. Blewett, 272; 7. R. Pennink, 272; 8. M. Swanson, 266; 9. E.
Goodale, 266; 10. B. Bock, 261.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017