NWSMT • April 07, 2014
Dominates To Claim 17th NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour Victory
SOUTH BOSTON, Va. (April 5, 2014) - It was a nice afternoon for a drive for Andy Seuss.
The Hampstead, N.H., driver dominated and won Saturday’s South Boston 150 in NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour action under a blue sky at South Boston Speedway. Seuss became the first repeat winner in six visits to the .4-mile Virginia oval for the tour. He won the Southern Tour’s inaugural visit to the track in 2009. The victory was the 17th of Suess’ career and the second in three outings this season behind the wheel of his No. 11 Ideal Finance/Phoenix Motors Chevrolet.
Seuss, who started second on the grid, took the lead from pole sitter Danny Bohn, who won his second career Coors Light Pole Award earlier in the day, in the opening laps and made it look easy from there. Seuss had to survive five restarts, but was able to handle challenges from Bohn, JR Bertuccio and Kyle Ebersole in short order.
Four-time and defending Southern Modified Tour champion George Brunnhoelzl III charged to the front and finished second after starting from the rear of the field. He qualified seventh, but had to drop to the rear prior to the initial green flag due to an unapproved adjustment to the car following qualifying.
Bohn crossed the line in third for his first top-five finish of the season followed by Luke Fleming in fourth and JR Bertuccio in fifth. Brothers Burt and Jason Myers, Gary Putnam, rookie Joe Ryan Osborne and Ebersole completed the top 10.
With the win, Seuss wrestled the points lead from Bertuccio, who led by a single point coming into the event. Seuss now holds an eight-point advantage over Bertuccio with Brunnhoelzl lurking at just 10 tallies off the pace.
Seuss’ 17 victories is second only to Brunnhoelzl’s 20 on the all-time wins list for the Whelen Southern Modified Tour.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour is back on the track on Saturday, April 12 for the Courtyard By Marriott/Pepsi 150 at Langley Speedway in Hampton, Va.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-South Boston 150 Results
At South Boston Speedway
South Boston, Va.
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 60.811 mph.
2. (7) George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (1) Danny Bohn, Freehold, N.J., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (12) Luke Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Ford, 150.
5. (5) JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (17) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
7. (9) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
8. (14) Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (4) Joe Ryan Osborne, Holland, Pa., Chevrolet, 150.
10. (3) Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 150.
11. (8) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet, 148.
12. (16) Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 146.
13. (6) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 139, accident.
14. (11) David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 139, accident.
15. (13) A.J. Winstead, Bon Air, Va., Chevrolet, 137, accident.
16. (10) Thomas Stinson, Chester, Va., Chevrolet, 109, accident.
17. (15) Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 50, mechanical.
Time of Race: 0 hours 59 minutes 12 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.889 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Bohn (97.403 mph, 14.784 seconds)
Caution Flags: 5 for 24 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Seuss 1-51; D. Bohn 52; A. Seuss 53-150.
Standings: 1. A. Seuss, 136; 2. J. Bertuccio, 128; 3. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 126; 4. B. Myers, 117; 5. L. Fleming, 114; 6. D. Bohn, 112; 7. J. Myers, 109; 8. K. Ebersole, 106;9. G. Putnam, 105; 10. J. Osborne, 105.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017