NWSMT • August 04, 2016
Analyzing the Strutmasters.com 199 at Bowman Gray Stadium
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Aug. 3, 2016) – The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour visits Bowman Gray Stadium on Saturday for the Strutmasters.com 199. Below is a statistical look at the recent performance of the tour and selected drivers at Bowman Gray, as well as some other statistical trends:
Strutmasters.com 199 Setup:
• For the first time in the 12-year history of the tour, brothers Jason and Burt Myers enter this event first and second in the points standings.
• Danny Bohn has scored back-to-back wins at Bowman Gray on the historic flat quarter-mile track. The only other driver to do that at BGS was L.W. Miller in 2010 and 2011.
• Burt (2005, 2007) and Jason Myers (2006) accounted for the first three NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour wins at Bowman Gray, but haven’t won there since.
At Bowman Gray
• The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour has made nine visits to Bowman Gray Stadium.
• The quarter-mile track was built and opened on May 18, 1949 by NASCAR founder Bill France Sr. and Alvin Hawkins. Fonty Flock won the first race.
• The track also hosts nearby Winston-Salem State University home football games in the infield of the stadium.
• The 11 tour events at Bowman Gray have resulted in seven different race winners. Danny Bohn, Burt Myers and L.W. Miller, with two each, are the only drivers with multiple wins.
• There have been six different pole winners at Bowman Gray. Burt Myers (4) and Ryan Preece (2) are the only driver with multiple poles.
• Burt Myers has the most top-five finishes at Bowman Gray with seven.
• Burt Myers also holds the record for the most top 10s at Bowman Gray with nine.
• With a 5.1 mark in 11 tour starts, Burt Myers has the best average finish among drivers with five or more appearances at Bowman Gray.
• George Brunnhoelzl III led the most laps in tour competition at Bowman Gray – running out front for 441.
• Only Burt Myers and Jason Myers have competed in all 11 tour events at Bowman Gray.
• Seventy-three different drivers have competed in the tour at Bowman Gray.
Bowman Gray Data
Race: #6 of 11 (8/6/16)
Track Layout: .25-mile paved flat oval
Race Length: 199 laps (49.99 miles)
1-Lap Qualifying: Tim Brown, 13.186 seconds, 68.254 mph, Aug. 8, 2008
Race Record: L.W. Miller, 1 hour, 57 seconds, 48.975 mph, Aug. 7, 2010
Category Leaders (Active) at Bowman Gray:
1. L.W. Miller … 2
Burt Myers … 2
Danny Bohn … 2
1. Burt Myers … 4
2. Ryan Preece … 2
3. Six drivers … 1
1. Burt Myers … 7
2. Jason Myers … 4
3. Andy Seuss … 4
1. Burt Myers … 9
2. Jason Myers … 7
3. Andy Seuss … 7
1. George Brunnhoelzl III … 441
2. Danny Bohn … 264
3. Burt Myers … 242
1. Burt Myers … 2,122
2. Jason Myers … 1,915
3. Andy Seuss … 1,538
1. Burt Myers … 11
2. Jason Myers … 11
3. George Brunnhoelzl III & Andy Seuss … 8
Selected Driver Highlights:
JR Bertuccio (No. 2 Gershow Recycling Chevrolet)
• Has two wins and 29 top 10s in 51 career NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour starts. The wins came at Southern National Motorsports Park and Bristol Motor Speedway (NWSMT) in 2014.
• Enjoyed his best career finish to date in the final points standings (fourth) in 2014.
• Finished ninth last year in his third start at Bowman Gray Stadium.
Danny Bohn (No. 40 William Smith Trucking/Lewisville Motors Chevrolet)
• This New Jersey native has four wins, seven poles, 22 top-five and 37 top-10 finishes in 45 career starts.
• Finished in the top 10 in the final standings each year from 2012-14 and competed part-time last year. Returns to full-time competition this season with Frank and Chris Fleming.
• Has an average finish of fourth with a pair of wins, three top-five and four top-10 finishes in four career Bowman Gray starts.
Kyle Bonsignore (No. 22 Snap-On Tools Chevrolet)
• Has made seven career NWSMT starts with his lone top-five and three top-10 finishes coming earlier this season.
• Collected his first career top-five finish on the southern tour in April at South Boston.
• One of two Sunoco Rookie of the Year contenders this season in the NWSMT.
• This will be his first start at Bowman Gray.
George Brunnhoelzl III (No. 28 Composite Technologies Chevrolet)
• Has a record four NWSMT championships (2009, `11, `12, `13).
• Has 27 wins, 26 poles, 54 podiums, 71 top fives, 78 top 10s and 3,106 laps led in 108 career starts.
• Holds NWSMT all-time records for wins and laps led. Ranks second in poles, third in top fives and fourth in top 10s.
• Has recorded at least one win a season in every year he has competed full-time on the NWSMT since 2008.
• Competed in the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour in 2010.
• Has one win, one pole, three top fives, four top 10s and 441 laps led in eight career starts at Bowman Gray.
Kyle Ebersole (No. 5 Ebersole Excavating Ford)
• Has two wins, 20 top fives and 31 top 10s in 41 career starts. The first victory was earned at Langley Speedway in 2013 and the second came at South Boston Speedway on Sept. 13, 2014.
• Ranked sixth in points with 10 top-10 finishes last season.
• Has an average finish of eighth and has a best finish of sixth (twice) and three top-10s in four career starts at Bowman Gray.
Jeremy Gerstner (No. 15 GMR Lawncare/Shady Grady Racing Chevrolet)
• Competing fulltime this season for modified veteran car owner Grady Jeffreys Sr.
• Has scored two top-five, 11 top 10s in 29 career starts with a best finish of third at Bowman Gray in 2015.
• Has made four starts at Bowman Gray with one top five, two top-10 finishes with an average finish of ninth.
Bobby Measmer Jr. (No. 74 Powerhouse Recycling/Lead 2 Real Estate Chevrolet)
• The Concord, N.C., driver has one pole (South Boston, 2015), five top-five and 15 top-10 finishes in 29 career starts.
• Finished fifth last season in his second start at the stadium. Started fourth and finished 19th in his first start at Bowman Gray in 2014.
Burt Myers (No. 1 Remington SCT/Speedway Auto Auction Ford)
• The 2010 NWSMT champion has 18 wins, a tour record 29 poles, 73 top fives and 103 top 10s in 124 career starts.
• Finished third in the final standings last season with four wins, nine top fives and 12 top 10s in 14 races.
• Has two wins, a pole, seven top-fives and nine top 10s in 11 starts at Bowman Gray.
Jason Myers (No. 4 Adams Towing/Corks, Caps & Taps Ford)
• Has recorded three wins, 45 top fives and 102 top 10s in a NWSMT-record 137 career starts. Has competed in all but one race (2005-Martinsville Speedway) in the tour’s previous 11 seasons.
• Finished 2015 a career-best third place in the final standings as the only driver to finish in the top 10 in every race all season.
• Joins brother Burt as the only driver to participate in all 11 previous NWSMT races at Bowman Gray, where he has a win (2006), four top fives and seven top 10s.
Austin Pickens (No. 33 Greenbriar Landscape Chevrolet)
• Has made four starts this season competing for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors.
• Recorded first career top-10 finish in April at South Boston.
• Joins Gerstner as the only other full-time competitor in the NWSMT this season from the state of Florida. The Orlando, Florida native drives for veteran car owner Gary Fountain, Sr.
Gary Putnam (No. 77 Curb Records Chevrolet)
• Has 28 top 10s in 60 career starts with a career best finish of fifth at Caraway in 2013.
• Finished in the top 10 in the final 2015 standings with six top 10s in 10 races, equaling his career-best showing of eighth place in 2014.
• Has two top 10s in four starts at Bowman Gray with a best finish of seventh in 2014.
Andy Seuss (No. 11 Davis Roofing/Vetsal Buick GMC Chevrolet)
• Has 22 wins, 12 poles, 67 top fives and 87 top 10s in 109 career NWSMT starts. His 22 wins rank second all-time.
• Finished first in the championship standings last season with a pair of wins at Caraway and one at South Boston. He had 12 top fives and was the only driver to finish in the top 10 in all 14 races.
• Has an average finish of seventh with four top five and seven top-10 finishes at Bowman Gray.
Up To Speed:
• Burt Myers made a late pass around Danny Bohn to pick up the season-opening win and 17th overall in his career in the southern tour.
• George Brunnhoelzl III made a late pass by Ted Christopher to add to his record-setting number of wins on the tour with his first victory of the year and 26th overall.
• Brunnhoelzl III won back-to-back races on the schedule for the seventh time in his career after taking the checkered flag in the South Boston 150.
• Burt Myers held off his brother Jason is winning the Dogwood 150 in the most recent race on the tour at Caraway in April. First time in his career he’s picked up two wins before the annual spring break.
• Andy Seuss picked up his first win of the season at Caraway Speedway. The two-time defending tour champion now has 12 wins at the track.
Copyright Whelen Engineering Co, Inc 2017