The Electrical Engineer is responsible for developing, integrating and supporting hardware and embedded firmware for new product development and sustaining engineering projects.
- General and specialized circuit and system design
- Analysis of general and specialized components, circuits, signals and systems
- Circuit simulation using SPICE modeling
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer®
- Hardware and system development and integration
- Hardware troubleshooting and analysis
- Embedded firmware development, primarily in embedded C/C++ programming languages, using IAR Embedded Workbench
- Embedded firmware debugging and analysis using ICE, JTAG debuggers, data monitors, source level debugging and brute force methodology.
- Calculate voltage, current and power requirements for components, circuits and systems.
- Work closely with other engineering disciplines (mechanical, manufacturing, documentation, software) for the purpose of new and sustaining product development, troubleshooting and manufacturing.
- Work closely with component engineers to select components, parts and materials.
- Participate in both peer and management-led design reviews
- Present design strategies and proposals to peers and management in both group and private settings.
- Must hold a degree in BSEE from an ABET accredited college or university.
- Must have a proficient understanding of general circuit design and analysis.
- Must have experience with circuit simulation using SPICE
- Must be able to design products in a holistic manner and provide support through all phases of the engineering process.
- Must have a proficient knowledge of common electronic circuits, including but not limited to: transistor and FET amplifiers, solid-state switches, biasing circuits, bridges, rectifiers, filters, digital and analog I/O circuits, current sources, and linear and switching regulators.
- Must have good “hands-on” skills and be capable of using common hand tools.
- Must be proficient in the use of common electronic test equipment such as digital multimeters, oscilloscopes and function generators.
- Must be familiar with common schematic capture software, integrated development environments (IDEs) and Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software.
- Must be proficient in embedded firmware development (C/C++) and hardware design and integration.
- Must be proficient in both AC and DC electrical theory.
- Must be proficient in electromagnetic radiation and heat transfer theories and practices.
- Must possess a complete understanding of the parameters associated with discrete and integrated electronic components, and of electromechanical devices and components.
- Must be proficient in the electronic component selection and evaluation process.
- Must possess a knowledge of common manufacturing processes, as related to component insertion (placement) on printed circuit boards (PCBs), electronic assemblies and subassemblies and electro-mechanical assemblies and subassemblies.
- Must possess excellent communications skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally to manufacturer representatives on the phone, in person, or by other electronic means and media.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with engineers spanning a variety of disciplines.
- Must be personable and able to work well as part of a passionate, dedicated team in order to represent the core family values of Whelen Engineering while interacting with fellow employees, customers, and vendors necessary to get product design to the marketplace.
- Familiar with CAN, USB, Ethernet and other common communication protocols.
- Familiar with embedded Linux development.
- Familiar with wireless communication schemes such as IEEE 802.11 and Bluetooth and other common protocols.
- Experience with Atlassian development and collaboration tools, such as Jira, Confluence, etc.
- Experience with SVN or Git Source Control.
All Employees Shall:
- Comply with the EH&S Policy and applicable regulatory and company EH&S rules and requirements
- Report to supervision conditions or practices that are either unsafe or that may adversely impact the environment, to ensure prompt resolution of potential hazards
- Attend scheduled EH&S training program
- Actively support the organization’s efforts to meet or exceed EH&S goals and plans
- Recommend improved EH&S practices
- Must be able to communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, and third parties. This ability to communicate requires the employee to be conversant in English as the majority of our workforce and the third parties that we encounter only speak English
- The incumbent is responsible for complying with the policies in Whelen’s “Employee Handbook”
This Job Description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company’s discretion. Nothing in this position description changes or is intended to change the employment at-will relationship with the Company. Employment at-will means that an employee or the Company may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.