Apparatus Outfitting Guide

How does “Fringe Flux” affect my calculation?

Fringe Flux is the energy created by a lighthead beyond the standard 57 data points defined by the standard that could possibly affect the compliance of a vehicle. All lightheads produce light outside of the 5° Up/45° Left to 5° Down/45° Right however some produce large amounts of energy beyond that range, such as a 600 Series Rota-Beam™ or V-Series™ lighthead. Recognizing Fringe Flux helps keep Non-Permissible light out of zones that it should not be in and could also contribute to other zones that would receive the energy.

Example 1 – What Fringe Flux Looks Like. A lighthead can typically produce up to 180° of light, which will contribute 90° of energy to Zone A, and 45° of energy to zones B and D.

Example 2 – Rotating Non-Permissible Light into a Zone. With the ability to rotate lightheads and lightbars when mounting them on the vehicle the need to look at Fringe Flux becomes necessary. In this example, the lightbars are rotated 45°. If a White flashing alley/warning light is included in the configuration it will be contributing to Zone C. If the Standard doesn’t allow White light in Zone C, then AOG will calculate how much energy is being added and determine if it’s acceptable to have this light on. If AOG determines too much energy is being added to Zone C, it will turn off the offending lighthead(s) for all Modes of Operation. *Non-Permissible light never contributes to Zone Totals.

Example 3 – Permissible Light into a Zone. Two 600 Series Rota-Beam™ lightheads are mounted in Zones B and D. Because of the design of the 600 Series Rota-Beam, it produces a large amount of Fringe Flux into adjacent zones (zones A and C). If the Standard allows these colors, AOG will include any Fringe Flux in the appropriate Zone Totals. If the colors are producing Non-Permissible light in the adjacent Zones, refer to example 2.

I used a .brx file that I made last week and AOG is asking me if I want to “Use Historic Data” or “Don’t Use Historic Data”. Which option should I choose?

The option for using Historic Data will appear if the .bxr contains a lighthead that is linked to old data which has since been superseded. You can continue to perform the calculation by selecting “Use Historic Data” to use the Historical Data. However, Whelen recommends that you always create a new .bxr to access the most up-to-date data.

Standard: NFPA 1906. I’ve put a White/Red lighthead in Zone A. Why does it give me a warning saying, “Non-permissible light color in Blocking mode of operation”?

The warning message indicates that the Zone Totals will not include the white light in Zone A during Blocking mode of operation.

Standard: SAE J2498. I’ve put an Amber/Red lighthead in Zone A. Why does it give the warning: “Non-Permissible light color in calling mode of operation”?

The warning message indicates that the Zone Totals will not include the amber light in Zone A during Calling mode of operation.

What are “Candela-Seconds/Minutes (CdSM)”?

Candela-Seconds Per Minute is the amount of flash energy over time, independent of color. For example, Red CdSM can be combined with Blue CdSM to calculate total flash energy over time for the product.
Candela-Seconds/Minutes = Candela-Seconds x 60 ÷ Flash Period

What do you mean by “Permissible Light”?

Permissible Light is any light in a zone that is allowed to be operating during a Mode of Operation.

What do you mean by “Non-Permissible Light”?

Non-Permissible Light is any light in a zone that is NOT allowed to be operating during a Mode of Operation.

What is “Candela (Cd)”?

Candela-seconds are a unit of flash energy. Candela-Seconds = Candela x Flash Duration.

What is the “!” symbol next to my uploaded Lightbar?

If the uploaded .bxr file contains a lighthead that is not available to the AOG, a “!” will be displayed to indicate missing data. Hovering over the lightbar will display which lightheads are missing. Please contact aogsales@whelen.com for help. We will review the request to ensure that the data is made available.

What is the difference between System Type = Standalone Lights vs Lighting Control System?

Standalone Lights will treat each lighthead as if they are not connected to a control system, and only the low-power values hardcoded into the lighthead can be used. If the lighthead doesn’t have a low-power wire, it will not have an option for low-power. Lighting Control System allows the user to control the power percentage in 5% increments. This will allow the ability to apply low-power to all lightheads when controlled by a control system.

Who can I contact if I have questions?

We are happy to help! Contact aogsales@whelen.com. The team will get back to you ASAP.

Common Questions

How do I contact technical support?

Call 860-526-9504 and dial extension 6 for technical support and follow the phone prompts. You can also email us at custserv@whelen.com.

How do I determine the model of my lightbar?

Determining the model lightbar you have is the most important thing you can do before contacting us for technical support. Depending on the lightbar series, the label with the model number will be located on the bottom where the cables exit the lightbar or on the inside by one of the corner lightheads or alley lights. The decal will have the lightbar’s model number. You will need to obtain this model number information and have it ready to give to the technical support group hardware representative who will be assisting you.

How do I obtain information on your products?

You can find detailed product information on this website or submit an email request to catalog@whelen.com to have product information sent to you.

How do I perform basic troubleshooting on the product that I have?

Basic troubleshooting tips:

  • Check for blown fuses in your installation and on the product.
  • Check to make sure you have 12.8 volts and an adequate ground on the products power and ground wires.
  • Make sure all connection points such as crimps and connectors that are being used in the installation are making full contact.
  • Make sure that all wiring is intact and has not been damaged or compromised in any way.

How do I purchase parts for your products?

You can contact the technical support group hardware team and we can assist you with part number information to take to your local Whelen dealer for ordering.

How do I purchase Whelen products?

We sell our products through distribution. Please contact your local Whelen dealer to purchase Whelen products. You can locate your local dealer at  https://www.whelen.com/find-a-distributor/


How do I use Whelen Command™ software?

To learn how to use Whelen Command software, please visit  https://www.whelen.com/whelen-command/. This will provide all programming information pertaining to Command software.

How do obtain installation guides for retired products?

You can contact the technical support group hardware team and we can assist you with installation guides pertaining to retired products.

If I am in Canada where do I send my Whelen items for service?





What is the difference between SAE Class 1, 2 and 3?

These are SAE intensity categories.

  • Class 3 products are typically used inside buildings where there is no ambient sunlight. For Amber warning products, Class 3 products provide approximately 40% of the minimum intensity of Class 2 products.  
  • Class 2 products are typically used by utility vehicles and other equipment found working along the roadside.  The minimum intensity for Class 2 products is approximately 2.5 times that of Class 3 products.
  • Class 1 products are intended for primary emergency vehicles such as police, fire, and ambulance vehicles.  Many states are beginning to mandate the use of Class 1 amber warning products where previously Class 2 was the minimum requirement.  Check with local authorities to determine what is needed in your area. Class 1 products are approximately four times the minimum intensity of Class 2 products.

Where do I ship items to be serviced?

Ship items to be serviced to:





Please include the following information:


If  there are any questions on the above information, you can contact us directly at Whelen Engineering Company at 1-860-526-9504 and ask for the Service Department.

Who do I contact for general product support troubleshooting?

Contact our Technical Support Group at 860-526-9504 extension 6 and follow the phone prompts to troubleshoot the product that you have.

Who do I contact for service status of my Whelen item or need service invoice information?

You can contact our service department directly at 860-526-9504 and ask for the service department. They will put you in contact with a service department agent who can assist you.

Who do I contact if I have an issue with a programmable product configuration file?

You can contact our technical support group software team at 860-526-9504 extension 6 and follow the phone prompts to troubleshoot your file. Please have your file available to send to the technical support group software representative for troubleshooting purposes. You can also email us at techsupport@whelen.com.

Who do I contact to help me build my programmable product software file?

Please contact your authorized managing sales representative to assist you with software file construction. Find your local AMSR office at https://www.whelen.com/find-a-distributor/. 

Technical Services Group Questions

Do I need an RMA to send an item back for service?

No RMA is needed to send back a product for service.

How do I check status for the product that I sent in for service?

Please contact our service department office at 860-526-9504 to check the status of your item sent in for service.

How do I request expedited service?

Please indicate that you require same-day service on the letter that you send in with the item requiring service. We will then expedite your item for service and ship it back to you the same day that we receive the item in our service department.

What are the office hours for the technical support group?

We are in the office Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time.

What information do I need to send back with my item for service?

Please complete this form:  Return for Service Form

What information should I have before calling the technical support group?

  • Contact name and number.
  • Model or part number of product.
  • MFG date of product.
  • What is the issue with the product. Be as descriptive as you can.

What is the average turn around time on products sent to you for service?

The average turnaround time for items sent to us for service is 1-3 business days from the time we receive the unit.

Warranty Questions

Can I get a copy of your warranty policy?

You can access our warranty policy here:   
Automotive Warranty Policy

What does your warranty cover?

Our warranty covers product defects and electronic component failures.

What is the warranty period on LED products?

LED products are covered by a 10-year or a 5-year warranty from the product’s date of manufacture. Please refer to our warranty statement to see which products are covered.

What is the warranty period on your siren units?

There are three warranties on our siren products: 2-year, 5-year, and 10-year. Warranty coverage begins from the date of manufacture. Please contact the Technical Support Group for warranty information on your specific siren.

What kind of conditions void the warranty on your products.

Broken/damaged components from the field, overvoltage conditions, water/chemical damage, and alterations of the product void the warranty.

Who do I contact discussing warranty on any of your products.

Please contact the Technical Support Group for assistance with any warranty-related questions.